Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

home made arrow saw - help

Old 03-03-2008, 04:17 PM

Default home made arrow saw - help

I got the motor out of the sewing machine.

Now i'm just kinda looking to try to figure out how to attach the cut off wheel to the drive.

I think I got a pretty good idea, but if someone could give me some thoughts that would be a major plus.

I thought there were links on here to some, but I couldn't find them.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: home made arrow saw - help

The search here doesn't operate like other searches, I don't think it could find it's self. Without seeing the mototr what I would do is tap a hole in the end of the shaft and attach the blade with washers and screw. Reverse thread would be good that way as it turns the screw tightens.

I've never seen the info your talking about here. The wheels already been invented, just look at tools that already have it figured out and do something similar.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

the only topics I remember seeing that involved a sewing machine motor were for cresting machines. I may have missed the topic on cut off saws.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:59 PM
sm
Spike

When I made mine, I turned a shaft with a 1/4" hole for the motor shaft, with a setscrew, then outside threaded it to fit a cutoff blade and nut. I used a lathe. It might be possible with a drillpress and some threaded rod, but the hole needs to be exactly centered to turn smoothly. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 AM

okay so are you trying to make a cutoff saw with like the $40.00 dollar dremels you can buy at walmart?

just doesnt seem cost effective to me. $40.00 vs all the time and energy spent building this sawnot to mention saftey issues with the cutoff wheel not spining at the correct rpm or to much rpm and blowing up in your face!I would just drop the money on the proper tool for the job.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 AM

well, an arrow saw (from apple) costs about $240, the wheels came from work ($0), the sewing machine was laying around and not working ($0), and a little innovation on my part should get me an arrow saw at the value of roughly... $0.

I am a college student, so it's not like my time is all that valuble. I work, but I only work the days I'm not at school until 4, so I've got time.

Safety isn't a concern, you have to die of something, might as well be on something I made than some other goober halfway across the world.

If it doesn't spin fast enough or whatever, i'll just throw it away. But I promise, I will have an arrow saw made... eventually. lol

thanks for the replies

Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen some posts where they were using a mini saw from harbor freight
Heres the link and its only 26 bucks

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42307

Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 AM
sm
Spike

The total cost of mine was about $20.00, $5.00 for the sewing machine at a garage sale (kept motor and control and threw the rest) $5.00 for the blades at Home Depot, and the rest for steel angle, plate, strap, paint, rubber feet, ruler, adjustment knob. It looks very similar to an Apple, except painted all black (the paint I had) and I kept the sewing machine foot pedal, so I can start and stop the motor between shafts easily. The motor is plenty powerful and it works very well.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davs2601

I have seen some posts where they were using a mini saw from harbor freight
Heres the link and its only 26 bucks

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42307

This what I use right now,the RPM's are a little low but it does the job.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:37 PM

now you have me thinking . good luck let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: home made arrow saw - help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.