Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

its the off season...

Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default its the off season...

time to work the bugs outta the form and get everything good n tuned and splitting hairs...

worked on my form all day...heres 2 quick videos i took today after i was done...let me know what you guys see...target is about 4-5 foot lower than me incase your wondering...wish it was clearer but my grip is good id say(spent alot of time working on that in the past) and string is touching the tip of my nose..sometimes it didnt look like it was...

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=P3030001.flv

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=P3030002.flv

Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM

Default RE: its the off season...

one thing i noticed was something that my bro told me i did and that was to dip my head into the bow.He told me not to do thatbut to bring the bow up and align the peep to my eye with my arms and keep from bobbing my head around to get into the peep...I had alot of trouble fixin that cause i was use to adjusting my head to see thru a rifle scope.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

al....f funny you mentioned that...today i was drawing infront of a mirror and noticed that...i think my peep needs brought up...but i could be way off..just was playing around infront of the mirror and it felt more comfortable and felt like i had better anchors if i moved my peep up...or maybe give a half inch or inch on the draw...i might play with both...this is the time to play....

i know my draw is real close...but i can get my draw arm down ALOT more than it is...and if i get it down more its all more comfortable and my release feels like its at a better angle and should be easier to use back tension to fire...(havent fired it like that yet...)

going to do more tinkering...i honestly dont know how to move a peep or let my draw out an inch...the shops really wont work with me..."looks good enough to me" and if i ask them to change something they act like its the end of the world and im such a hassle...when im a paying customer...

yes, im a pure bowhunter...but i do more target shooting than some target shooters do i bet! i honestly fling more arrows than any other hunter i personally know..i like my accuracy...i notice when an arrow isnt where it should be...i like challenging myself shooting golf tees and practicing at 50+ yards just to better myself...im a hunter..but i should probably be handled as a target shooter...im that particular and wish i could be THAT demanding....
Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

I think your form looks good I am not a professional though. I did notice that your release elbow seems a bit higher than I am used to seeing, maybe its because you are shooting at a target lower. If this is the case it seems like you may need to bend at the waist a little more (just my 0.0002 cents). This has intrigued me to shoot my bow on camera this weekend (weather permitting).
Old 03-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

AZ...its ALWAYS high..i think im anchoring too high...and today i played infront of the mirror more...really think my peep needs raised...puts my anchors better and lowers the release arm...and keeps my head straight up and down and keeps my body square! funny how that oneeeeeee little thing throws all that off...i noticed that when i anchored lower as IF my peep was higher, that all of that was corrected...and it all felt better...ive always felt "bunched up" but always felt that my draw legnth was REALLLLLLY close to being right, if not perfect...going to have to learn a completely new form and anchors but i think i will benefit

get out the camera...its worth it! i never noticed all that stuff...
Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

I was doing some drawin gin the mirror yesterday and now I am really thinking I will get the camera out this weekend to make sure I am not tilting my head or punching my release.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but just a couple things I noticed.

1) You dip your head down to anchor (You mentioned raising your peep and you are probably right in doing so)....You should be able to set your self, draw, and be right in line and not have to move at all.
2)It looks like your hips are a little pushed forward/upper body leaning back. I only noticed it in the first video and its not too exaggerated at all, but it is something I'm curious to see while you are shooting at a level target.
3) You need to set up a shot sequence for yourself. I realize this was video and a little rushed, but you were combining multiple steps at once and I think you will shoot better if you develop a solid sequence for yourself. Something like: Set feet, look at target, predraw (bring bow arm up, but do not draw yet), draw, anchor, float pin, squeeze trigger, follow through, assess. In the video, you were combining the firstfour into a rushed sequence.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: PA Bow/Flinter

I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but just a couple things I noticed.

1) You dip your head down to anchor (You mentioned raising your peep and you are probably right in doing so)....You should be able to set your self, draw, and be right in line and not have to move at all.
2)It looks like your hips are a little pushed forward/upper body leaning back. I only noticed it in the first video and its not too exaggerated at all, but it is something I'm curious to see while you are shooting at a level target.
3) You need to set up a shot sequence for yourself. I realize this was video and a little rushed, but you were combining multiple steps at once and I think you will shoot better if you develop a solid sequence for yourself. Something like: Set feet, look at target, predraw (bring bow arm up, but do not draw yet), draw, anchor, float pin, squeeze trigger, follow through, assess. In the video, you were combining the firstfour into a rushed sequence.

I see the same things.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I can get some video of my form when I go to see the Rev and Ausie in a few weeks! Wondering what the group says about mine.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys....im working on the hips...that must been how i always shot because i NEVER noticed till i videoed myself. believe me..if you saw the first videos i took, you guys woulda laughed. i looked rediculous. took some work but the hips came around...i just wasnt standing square...id throw my hips forward and lean back with my upper body and was all twisted...

i found if i raise the peep i will anchor lower and wont be all bunched up and it feels like i can stand square and straight. may just be the culprit...we shall see...maybe today i can get it raised.

when i do, i'll post a new video.

never thought about shot sequence...its probably better when im not in my backyard and dont know the distance...im just used to drawing and making the shot..i was rushing a bit for the video...was definently shooting quick and reloading quickly...feels like shooting takes alot longer than it does and i was rushing to beat the camera...though i didnt need to.

Quick Reply: its the off season...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.