Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dave Watson's Form

Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 AM

Default Dave Watson's Form

I happened to be watching Mathews TV on the outdoor channel last night and watched Dave draw back on a deer. What puzzeled me and maybe this is normal for some but he would anchor on the crease between his cheek and nose. Most of us (i assume) use the tip of the nose anchor reference but what I was wondering if using his cheek as an anchor, it was allowing him to use a longer draw length. Just curiuos. I will try to find a pic.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 AM

Default RE: Dave Watson's Form

I have noticed a number of folks do this, which suggests to me too long of a draw length on the bow as well. I have also seen some pretty good shooting with this kind of overdraw. Not ideal, but some people seem to get used to it and do pretty well in spite of a form "issue".
Old 03-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

some of the worst archers I've ever seen are on hunting shows.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 AM

I thought maybe he knew something I didn't. I'm not an old school guy and thought maybe it was some trick that only the very good archers or old school archers used. Maybe carried over from the recurve. I never seen it before and just trying to figure out if it has any benefit or not.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, some of the TV guys are not the best archers. I notice that a lot of them are overdrawn or overbowed. Kandi Kisky I think is the biggest offender of the "sky-draw" technique.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM

I think you find that, generally speaking; most archers shoot too heavy of draw weight, shoot too long of a draw length, and have an anchor point too far back - like under their ear lobe or worse.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

some of the worst archers I've ever seen are on hunting shows.
No doubt about it.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 AM

I kind of assumed he must know what he is doing being the mathews tv host. I realize he shoots a mathews but i won't hold that against him. After all they are the biggest archery manufacture in the world according to their commercial. I figured i could anchor like him and gain another inch of draw length. Anything for the extra fps's!!! I din't get a chance to break down his whole anchor system but just caught the string pressed up against his face. Must work for him.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:39 PM

Some anchor to the tip of their nose, others put the string to the side of it. When I first started I put the string to the side. It is easier to see the peep sometimes. If you anchor to the tip of your nose sometimes it feels like you are a bit cross eyed looking through the peep. If you anchor to the side it puts the peep directly in front of your eye. Going to the side also puts the peep closer to your eye.

I think some people that shoot with glasses do it that way.

Honestly it doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you do it the same way every time.

I have seen people shoot right handed using their left eye. Looks goofy as all get out, but they were pretty good.

Paul
Old 03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used too shoot with the side..then the best archer around taught me to shoot with the tip of my nose..now I have glasses and its harder to see the peep...but I got contacts as well so I'll keep my Nose Anchor!

Quick Reply: Dave Watson's Form

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.