Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow not reaching peak DW

Old 03-02-2008, 08:35 PM

Default Bow not reaching peak DW

I have my vectrix bottomed out, and I took it into Gander Mtn today to chrono it, but their chrono is broke. While there, we pulled it back on their bow scale, and it only hit 68 lbs. Why would a bow not reach its rated Draw Weight? Bow problem, or scale problem?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow not reaching peak DW

String and cable could have crept some which will lower the poundage or it could be a scale problem check it on another scale and see.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's typical for some bows to be either a little high or a little low of claimed max DW. My buddy's Matthews will only go to 68 lbs. and my Allegiance goes to 75 lbs with everything being in spec.

I know it's not a good feeling when that happens. With that being said.

The only way to see if it's a scale problem would be to use 2 different scales and see the results. What type of scale are they using? if it's a hand held spring scale they can be off by a few pounds. Mine is low by 2-3 lbs. If it's one of the Easton Digital scales I'd trust it.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:05 AM

Not digital, just a spring scale....I guess I'll check it again next time I make the trip to my preferred pro shop, don't know when that will be though.

Good call on the string creeping too, I didn't even think of that.These are the original crappy Fuse strings, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit. I'm about 1 1/2 weeks away froma set of bucknastys arriving tho, so string creep won't be the issue when these arrive, maybe that could bump it back up to 70.

It's not that big of a deal, heck I am about to turn it down to 60# for turkey season, just wondering if it meant something was wrong.

I guess while I am at it I'll go ahead and throw out another question, My bow is set at 65% let off, what is the down side of switching it to 75%? There has to be a down side to less holding weight, I'm to narrow minded to spot it though.[&:]
Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

String and cable could have crept some which will lower the poundage or it could be a scale problem check it on another scale and see.
Would this require the string to need to be twisted some? I put my general on a spring type draw weight device and only got 66lbs....not 70. Limb bolts are completely tightened down.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

PW, you'll want to twist the cables, not necessarily the string and at times, all 3/2 depending on bow. Twisting the cables will preload the limbs some increasing poundage. The elongation or creep of cables will lessen the poundage, same as untwisting the cables.

Some scales are also off. I know my spring style scale is 1 pound off but I know that when working with it.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a digitial scale and will test it with that before doing anything.....problem is the battery is dead and is difficult to find replacements for. I would take it to a bow shop and have them do the twisting......I'm to big of an amateur to do stuff like that.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Check Lancaster archery for batteries, anyone that sells the scales should have them.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

My bow is set at 65% let off, what is the down side of switching it to 75%? There has to be a down side to less holding weight, I'm to narrow minded to spot it though.[&:]
More than likely a loss of a few FPS but nothing major.

Just make sure you practice with it at 75% to make sure you dont get any fliers due to torque brought on by the less holding weight.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:28 AM

If the bow is shooting well, I wouldn't worry about it. Probably only about 5 fps loss in speed. Twisting the buss cable will generally increase the draw weight - at least on a Hoyt bow. Best take it to a shop if you decide to go this route, though.

Quick Reply: Bow not reaching peak DW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.