Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HCA 55 grain broadheads, lethality questions

Old 03-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Default HCA 55 grain broadheads, lethality questions

Just asking if anyone has used these?

I was thinking about trying them (to go w/ my 50 grain field points) I wouldn't have to do a lot of tuning between 3d/hunting set ups.

How far out would you all consider these to be lethal? I would imagine as far as Iam capable of shooting in the woods (35-40 yards).

just looking for thoughts/opinions. Would you think there would be penetration issues? I'd be getting around 60 ft/lb's out of them, I think.

thanks.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:57 PM

Default RE: HCA 55 grain broadheads, lethality questions

What's your FOC and speed? How's your spine?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 PM

FOC : 7.25%

Spine : 400 (5575 gold tips, actual spine is like .408, so it's right on too).

I think it'll be enough, 1" cutting diameter, if something goes wrong it will be because of my inability to hit the target well rather than the arrows inability to penetrate well.

Just looking to see what others thought.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:05 PM

325 grain arrows also.

If a 40# youth bow can kill one with a 100 grain point, I have to think a 65#/295 FPS bow w/ a 55 grain tip can kill one.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:02 PM

1" cutting diameter is excellent for whitetails (assuming you are hunting whitetails). I have been using that for years without any problems.

You might want to think about increasing your tip weight to gain FOC and to increase your KE.

Also increasing your tip weight will give you a more stable arrow at the farther distances such as 35-40yds.

7% is pretty low. You might find that switching to 75gr. or 100gr tips will give you noticably better arrow flight.

Best of luck!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:12 AM

Yeah, I know it's pretty low, but for my 3D set up I shoot 50 grain glue in tips, and I don't want to do a lot of tuning shooting a heavier broadhead. i'm trying to avoid tuning twice.

I might just have to use 75 grain tips and chagne a little.

ugh. Oh well, i'll just have to try them out. thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:36 AM

Why don't you tune your bow for the hunting set up then use it for 3-D without changing anything? Target set ups are amazingly forgiving, they don't require a lot of tuning to be accurate. Broad heads are what require real fine tuning.

Paul
Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 AM

Because target shooting is mainly what I do.

I don't bow hunt but a couple times a year. I don't want to be messing with my target set up.

All I want to know is if anyone doesn't think a 55 grain broadhead will kill a deer at 40 yards.

Thank you.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:21 PM

Sure it will if your set up has enough umph at that distance. Tip weight doesn't really mean anything for that. It's total weight, head design, cutting diameter and blade sharpness.

The problem is getting a one inch cutting diameter broad head to shoot correctly with a 3-D set up. Normally with a fixed blade you would want more FOC and more fletching to help stabilize the arrow and head. Shooting high speeds won't help you much either with a fixed blade and low FOC. You may have to re-tune your bow in order to get the fixed blades to shoot right. Which is what I meant when I said tune it for the hunting set up and then use it to target shoot with. Since with target points your arrows are more forgiving. I wouldn't re tune for each, you most likely won't notice a difference in performance with the target arrows. It is more about shooting well than having the perfect tune when target shooting.

Don't believe the hype on the website about them penetrating just like a 100 grn head or flying just like field points either. Every broad head company says that. They will pretty much say what ever they want if they think it will get you to buy their product. There is nothing revolutionary about their design, other than they are light. They are just like any other broad and will perform in the same manor. A one inch cutting diameter head is a one inch cutting diameter head, no matter who makes it. It will still catch air and effect arrow flight if not tuned correctly. And it will not penetrate any better either. You will still need enough energy and momentum to get it through a deer at whatever distance you want to shoot.

I would say those heads with that set up you would be pushing it at 40 yards if you want consistent pass through shots. I also think you may have trouble getting them to shoot well at those distances. There is a slight chance you will put them on and it will work, but I wouldn't count on it.

I would honestly suggest you use a mechanical head if you can find one light enough, then you could keep the same tune you have right now. Actually you could probably use a heavier mechanical head like a 75 or 85 grn tip and it would work just fine, unless it messes up your spine too much.

I'm also trying to figure out how your going to use a hunting tip when you are using glue in target points? I think you are going to need to add inserts to screw those heads into. I also think I read somewhere that they are meant for the speed pro arrows, so I would check to see if they will work with other arrows. I can't see why they wouldn't, but you never know these days.

If you do it let us know how it works.

Paul

Old 03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wouldnt use em on a deer
maybe small game

Quick Reply: HCA 55 grain broadheads, lethality questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.