Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HCA 55 grain broadheads, lethality questions

Old 03-03-2008, 04:49 AM

Default RE: HCA 55 grain broadheads, lethality questions

Why not on deer?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:20 AM

A field point will kill a deer if you hit them right. It comes down to shot placement like every broad head. I would have to agree with Paul on tuning your bow for broad heads and at most all you would need to do, more than likely, is change your yardage pins slightly going back to target arrows. I have a feeling you already know the answer to your question but you are just looking for some assurance.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Parkerbuckhunter

A field point will kill a deer if you hit them right. It comes down to shot placement like every broad head. I would have to agree with Paul on tuning your bow for broad heads and at most all you would need to do, more than likely, is change your yardage pins slightly going back to target arrows. I have a feeling you already know the answer to your question but you are just looking for some assurance.
right you are... right you are
Old 03-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't even image 55 grain broadhead... The least I use is 200, but I like 220 grian giving me 21 % FOC 543 grains total arrow. Hey, but to each his own.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:12 PM

yeah, I'm sure I won't end up shooting them... or I might, you never know what I'm gonna do next.

I mean, it has a 1" cutting diameter, and packs a lot of kinetic energy (well, 60+ pounds), I mean, it's very well capable of killing a deer, I just wondered if it would have enough momentum to go through a shoulder or something hard like should an errant shot be placed.

=\ thanks for the replies guys
Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't do it but its just my thinking and way of hunting. To me your going to loose to much pack to your punch by shooting very small grain heads regardless of a tuned bow or not.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

I mean, it has a 1" cutting diameter, and packs a lot of kinetic energy (well, 60+ pounds), I mean, it's very well capable of killing a deer, I just wondered if it would have enough momentum to go through a shoulder or something hard like should an errant shot be placed.
That's not a bet I would be willing to take, especially with a light arrow. Maybe with a 500 grn arrow, but not a 300 some grain arrow.

I have shot a simular set up, 350 grn carbon arrows giving me around 60 ft/lbs of energy. I didn't get pass through on a broadside deer in the vitals from 18 yards using NAP spitifires. I don't see that fixed blade head busting a shoulder with that combination, especially at ranges beyond 30 yards. Light arrows lose energy faster than heavy ones do as range increases.

It would probably zip right through the lungs on a well placed shot though.

Paul
Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be shooting 57GR. broadhead this year. Its a 75 Gr. Rocket Wolverine I remove the tip and use the tips from the miniblasters and that gives me 57GR.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not my style...

BUT - 60 ft lbs of KE is more than enough - regardless of the weight of the broadhead. It's still 60 ft lbs of KE. What's the problem?

I agree - you might have tuning issues with that much speed and that little FOC, but if they hit their mark I don't see why you'd have any problems with 'lethality'. As long as you stay away from the shoulder and hit your spot.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

It's not my style...

BUT - 60 ft lbs of KE is more than enough - regardless of the weight of the broadhead. It's still 60 ft lbs of KE. What's the problem?

I agree - you might have tuning issues with that much speed and that little FOC, but if they hit their mark I don't see why you'd have any problems with 'lethality'. As long as you stay away from the shoulder and hit your spot.
Clearly, your thinking process is the exact same as mine.

That's what I was thinking the whole time. 60 ft/lbs is 60 ft/lbs. It's like asking what weighs more, a pound of gold ora pound of feathers.

Quick Reply: HCA 55 grain broadheads, lethality questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.