Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews S2--vs--Bowthech 82nd

Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Mathews S2--vs--Bowthech 82nd

Anyone have any oppinions about these 2 bows. I went and shot the 82nd and like it alot, the draw cycle isnt bad untell you hit the break over point. I havn't got a chance to shot a S2 but I have owend a SBXT and them things are quite, smooth, and no hand shock. The S2 is several FPS slower then the 82nd but if its like the SBXT or better it will be alot smoother draw. I'm just wondering if the 82nd is going to be hard to draw when its crunch time, and after setting 3 hours in 10-20deg weather with alot of winter gear on. I had a hard time drawing my Hoyt supertec this year when the weather got like that.

I like the 82nd for the speed and t dosn't have any hand shock, but I like the Switchback for the smoothnes of the draw and the quiteness and no handshock, the Switchback isnt slow but it isn't fast either I think its like 318fps IBO so should be around 280fps hunting setup, where the 82nd would be around 315fps hunting setup.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mathews S2--vs--Bowthech 82nd

A binary cam bow will obviously feel a lot different than a single cam.

As always, shoot as many bows as you can -- narrow it down to 3 or 4, then shoot those again.

Personally, I don't like the short brace height on the 82nd, the 101st works better for me.

For what it's worth, my local shop got a Bowtech/Diamond Liberty the same day the S2 arrived. I shot both of them and thought they were pretty compatible with each other. And they are both nice bows. But I still like my Marquis better than either, and much MUCH better than the SBXT. I've been shooting the Marquis outside (and it's a bit nippy here in Wisconsin) on the ground as well as from the garage roof, without complaint or concern.

Again, shoot a variety first before you narrow it down to just one or two.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Not a very comparable,, comparison.. The 82nd is a rocket and the S2 a Buick. The top of the line Diamond bows would be a better choice as far as comparing single cam feel. The Diamond cam is VERY adjustable for let off and draw length and would be my choice for finding the best fit for acuracy. Noise levels from both bows will be a wash but the string and cable on the Diamond are top rated.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your looking for speed I'd take a look at the 82, 101, and the Allegiance, but if your goals are Smooth, Quiet shot then take a Look at the Guardian and General. I think both are very easy and Smooth to Draw, and the General with Smooth mods take smooth to another level. You need to list the traits you want in a bow in some order of importance, Speed, Lack of Hand Shock, Quiet shot, Draw, etc. Then try to look at the bows that fill your requirements the best.

If you are looking for Speed I wouldn't point you to a General as a first choice, and it isn't what I would consider Slow.On the other hand if a Quiet, Shock Free shot was what was most important I wouldn't necessarily send you to look at an Airborne 82first even though it is one of the quietest speed bows I've shot.

I can remember when 200 fps was next toimpossible to attain by a guy with a 28" draw, but even my Guardian at 28" and a mere 60# draw pushes a 500 grain arrow almost 240 fps. Smooth and Quiet all the way!!

Dan
Old 03-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the 82 is pretty nice. But i thought the 101 was better cuz of the longer bh. And i don't know anything about the S2. But i do know that you can't go wrong with a Bowtech.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:22 PM

I'd take a S2, DXT or Drenalin over a 82nd for hunting. If you're looking for speed and speed mainly, yeah 82nd.

My buddy owns a DXT and can't get over how quiet my Guardian is. He mentions it every time we shoot. His DXT is a very sweet bow but a little too short for some people.

I do like the DXT and Drenalin a lot, but shoot a Guardian (just liked it more) and love it!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:08 PM

Either bow will work well for any animal in North America. Just make sure you shot a lot of bows and pick the one that feels best to you regardless of what people say.

Remember, Archery is full of biased people.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: LostInWoods

I'd take a S2, DXT or Drenalin over a 82nd for hunting. If you're looking for speed and speed mainly, yeah 82nd.

My buddy owns a DXT and can't get over how quiet my Guardian is. He mentions it every time we shoot. His DXT is a very sweet bow but a little too short for some people.

I do like the DXT and Drenalin a lot, but shoot a Guardian (just liked it more) and love it!
Like was mentioned, The Diamond line, Bowtech's single cam line would be better suitable for comparison against the Mathews line and the Marquis would be a hard bow to not choose over a Mathews, same feel, draw and faster.