Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Comments on the Darton Magnum 33

Old 01-19-2002, 02:18 PM

Default Comments on the Darton Magnum 33

This is my first post on the board....I have found many of the technical opinions and bow reviews to be very useful as I am deciding on which bow to buy....primarily for hunting. (JeffB's bow reviews in particular!)

I am considering a Darton Magnum 33 and the Mathews SQ2/Q2.

I like the concept of the CPS system...smooth draw, level nock travel, shorter string = less creep, and excellent speed....but it seems a bit loud. Any thoughts on this bow from any of you who have shot it? Len? Jeff?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2002, 01:21 PM

Default RE: Comments on the Darton Magnum 33

Well JonB....I think your out of luck. I dont beleave anybody on here has shot the magnum 33. It looks like a sweet little bow to me. Since your looking at the short axle bows you might wanta give the Hoyt HavocTec a try too, but im gettin off subject. Ive never owned or shot a Darton bow, but Ive never heard a complaint from people who do. Im sure the magnum 33 would make a great hunting bow. I would probably pick it over the sq2. However I have shot the Q2 and the only thing i dont like about it is the lack of adjustability. If i were you i would try to find a shop that will let you shoot the bow and see what you think.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:01 PM

Thanks KY Bowhunter.....I suspect both are great bows. I have tried the Havoctec and did not particularly enjoy the draw...I'll probably try it again though......

Surely SOMEONE out there owns, sells, or has shot this bow?
Old 01-20-2002, 06:25 PM

I don't own one, but I have shot it at my local proshop. It is a nice bow, but like you said, noisier and has more shock than the sq2. But it is also faster. I am sure the noise and shock could be solved by limb savers and a good dampner. It has a lot going for it, though. Slim grips, speed, CPS cam which is much more adjustable than the mathews, and it is priced lower.

If you are looking at small bows, check out the UL31 by Parker, I thought it was the best over all little bow I shot. Very nice bow.

I think I read a review of the Magnum 33 somewhere, if I can find it I will post a link to it.

Paul

By the way I own a Darton Yukon with the CPS cam and love it.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the input. I agree that it has alot going for it. I too suspect that limb savers and other devices will probably take care of the noise/shock....seems like a great little bow...surprised more people have not caught on.

I have read the review on it...the problem I had with that review is that all of their reviews were on Darton's....I question their objectivity when all the reviews are on bows from the same manufacturer.

The local proshop who carries Parker does not typically carry the UL31...but I'll keep looking. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi JonB, welcome to the board! I have shot a mag.33, and just like Paul said, shoots sweet, really fast, but fairly loud. You know how to fix that, though. I would`nt hesitate on one if you like the way it feels!
Good Luck