Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feathers vs. vanes, pro's and con's??

Old 02-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Feathers vs. vanes, pro's and con's??

I'm thinking about changing things around a bit, and wondered if I could get some opinions here. What are the Pro's and Con's of Feathers and Vanes??? I've got some 4" duravane fletched arrows, and some blazered arrows, but was wondering about shooting feathers, and what difference I may see, good or bad.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Feathers vs. vanes, pro's and con's??

Here is a link to a good feathers vrs vanes discussion. I didn't feel like typing it all out.

Link

I personally like feathers, but I am currently using Blazers and I like them. If I were to shoot vanes it would be blazers over anything else.

Paul
Old 02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

personally, I'll take vanes over feathers any day, shooting a compound that is. I've tried feathers and they sounded like bacon sizzling as they flew through the air. They also layed down when they got wet, something you need not worry about when shooting vanes.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Feathers for my trad and vains or FOBs with my compound...
vains are all weather and feathers take a little more care in certain weather conditions...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

To me Feathers are all good, better control, lighter, more forgiving, and they help you achieve a higher FOC.

Dan
Old 02-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

To me Feathers are all good, better control, lighter, more forgiving, and they help you achieve a higher FOC.

Dan
Now if you know someone who goose hunts get the wing feathers and make your own but dont bleach or dye them as you will take away the natural oils that make them almost water proof
Old 02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
N2D

Never tried making my own feathers but sounds interesting. Hey Ausie, do you know where I can find a blue and white goose?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Vanes are better for hunting. I like the lower profile 4" and I believe duravanes are the lightest. Even their tougher vane for the wb is only 9 grns. a piece, a blazer is 6+, higher profile and stiffer, the opposite of a feather and a detriment (deflection issue). Vanes a quieter and in my recent test more durable. Both smacking each other the feather needs refletched. By the by, 2 arrows, one with a vane and one with a feather hit that close together.

All bohning vanes are heavy than the duravane counter part.

Feathers are beautiful and forgiving to deflection, lighter as mentioned, considerably and as mentioned you can cut your own. Goose feathers were popular in Europe's days past and still are there. Turkey feathers are a relativly recent item, (we have them here in the states). Right wing and left wing mean just that, the wing they came from. I've heard that if you shoot right, get right, left, get left.

Enjoy them both. Have somefeathered ones fordays that pleasant. Have vanes for everything else.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:34 PM

I use feathers and blazers....the blazers are great no doubt, but I like my feathers as well...they are more forgiving, and they just look so darn cool
Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 AM

Nodog, you are correct in that if using the same size vanes the blazers are just as heavy if not heavier, but the key is the blazers are much stiffer and you can use a much smaller vane and get more control out of it so they actually weight less. Most blazer set ups don't weigh much more than a 4 or 5 inch feather fletched arrows. And they control about as well. They just are not very forgving because they are so stiff is all.

Paul

Quick Reply: Feathers vs. vanes, pro's and con's??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.