Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feathers vs. vanes, pro's and con's??

Old 03-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Feathers vs. vanes, pro's and con's??

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Nodog, you are correct in that if using the same size vanes the blazers are just as heavy if not heavier, but the key is the blazers are much stiffer and you can use a much smaller vane and get more control out of it so they actually weight less. Most blazer set ups don't weigh much more than a 4 or 5 inch feather fletched arrows. And they control about as well. They just are not very forgving because they are so stiff is all.

Paul
Duravane makes many different vanes and one is identical to the blazer except for weight. Blazers together will weigh around 18, 5" feathers wont top 7, a 4" is 6.4" duravanes are 25; even their 4" savage vane made for the wb is only 28.I use those for their durability and lower profile. Bohning vanes in a 4" are pushing 40. They are supposed to be 11 a piece.

I tried both the blazer and duravane equivalent. High and stiff with contact issue for me. I didn't care from them in a strong cross wind, but then again none I've tested did enough to be called good, some better.

I think the 3D duravane is almost as pretty as a feather and they come in many sizes.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got Dan from MeanV sending me some barred feathers and a right helical clamp for my Bitzenburger , i love the look of feathers and just gotta try them .
Old 03-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bailsuk

I've got Dan from MeanV sending me some barred feathers and a right helical clamp for my Bitzenburger , i love the look of feathers and just gotta try them .
Should be sweet with that Merlin. A real Robin Hood.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:24 PM

Feathers:

1. Increased air distruption = more stable arrow flight at short yardages + slower arrow + increased arrow flight noise.

2. Rain + feathers = disaster. Yes you can treat the feather but you can't sit out all day in the rain like you could with vanes. There is nothing on the market that can make a feather 100% impervious. (other than dipping them in plastic!)

Old 03-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you're a big enough idiot to sit out in the rain all day, then you're probably too much of an idiot to take a plastic bag with you to cover up your feathers. [8D]
Old 03-02-2008, 07:20 PM

I have shot my biggest deer in the rain. I'll sit out all day no problem. Rain in my neck of the woods gets deer moving while wimpy hunters head for the inside.

A plastic bag makes way, way too much noise in the rain. Tried it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

I have shot my biggest deer in the rain. I'll sit out all day no problem. Rain in my neck of the woods gets deer moving while wimpy hunters head for the inside.

A plastic bag makes way, way too much noise in the rain. Tried it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
I hope you don't gut shoot your animal or hit it other places then the vitals. I don't care who you/we are, our arrows don't always go where there suppose to! Good luck with tracking that in the rain.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't have a problem with my feathers not doing the job of steering an arrow when wet.Most I have talked to that actually tested them in the rain or wet have said the same.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Feathers:

2. Rain + feathers = disaster. Yes you can treat the feather but you can't sit out all day in the rain like you could with vanes. There is nothing on the market that can make a feather 100% impervious. (other than dipping them in plastic!)
That is just not true. I suppose it could be true if your bow and arrow were not tuned correctly but if your setup is tuned then shooting wet feathers is not a problem.

A member here actually did a test to disprove this myth. It makes for interesting reading.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2262756