Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cam sync/timing.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cam sync/timing.

I've spent the past three days reading up (via the searches) on cam sync vs cam timing. I even googled some sources on the issue, and what the ONLY thing I've concluded is the terms "sync" and "time" are used differently by so many sources to describe different things. I can't seem to get an idea of what the difference truly is (although I know there is).

Here's what I've gathered so far, and feel free to set me straight (that's what I'm after, as I'm very new to all of this).

Cam sync:

This refers to the relation/orientation of the cams with respect to each other (only pertains to a dual cam, binary, and hybrid, no single cams, correct)? Not only is cam snyc referring to rotational position, but ALSO rotational speed, correct? In theory hybrid cams would be out of synch due to the mismatch in size between the two, but Hoyt has engineered it (cable orientation to the cams and how it's wrapped) so that the cams do rotate at the same speed and same point through the draw cycle when snyched, correct?

Cam timing:
Refers to the rotational position of the cams at brace and at full draw. Just because the cams hit the draw stops at the same time doesn't mean it's timed correctly, right? Doesn't timing deal more or less with utilizing the best position of the cams to get the most out of the draw/force curve? So for instance, your cams are a bit under/over rotated at brace, they will also be over/under rotated at full draw, correct? Therefore you're not utilizing the most potential energy and full efficiency of the cam, correct?

My problems with this issue is this:
I've read the threads, etc stating that synch and timing are seperate entities, so here's where I'm lost. Let's say you're starting with your bare bow (getting ready to tune). You look at the cams to check for synch (can you go by just looking at the position of the cams with respect to each other, then check tiller and if it all checks out, they're in snych? Or is there some other method).

Then let's say you move on to timing. You look at the bow at brace and are looking for what? Whether the cam is over/under rotated? I've heard mention of timing marks, but how they're more or less a starting point or guideline rather than a specific measurement to go by...is this true? From what I read dealing with timing, it seems the consensus is to use a draw board (or have someone draw for you) and watch to see where the draw stops hit. If one hits before the other, twist/untwist the buss/control cable. I see this being the accepted method of TIMING...but if timing deals with the orientation of the cams, wouldn't you be more or less concerned with where the cams are at brace than at full draw (seeing as you want to utilize ALL of the power stroke, correct)?

I know this thread is full of tons of questions, some probably have been answered in here, but through my searching, I seriously couldn't come to a conclusion on what was what, and if someone or a few of you could set me straight on the issue, it would be great.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 PM

Default RE: Cam sync/timing.

I'm no expert but to me I almost think of them as being the same. The manufacturer of the bow basically tells you where your sweet spot of your cams are by giving you the axle to axle distance and brace height dimensions. What I do is make sure the ata distance is correct by twisting cables and then remove from press and see if cams roll over close to eachother if not I twist cables to get close as i can guess. I read an article on creep tuning which the process is basically you take a peice of tape horizontally on your target. Shoot at the tape when you pull as hard as you can against the back wall and then do thesame thing only on the next shot let the cams creep to the front wall and if the shots hit in the same spot than your cams are timed. If not you have to twist or untwist cable a turn or two to correct. Once you have successfuly done this process it is amaising how that errant 5" high shot goes away. Search for creep tuning and it should help answer your questions. They're more in depth procedures on other forum pages. I dont know if that is the answer you are looking for but might be a place to strart.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Parkerbuckhunter

I'm no expert but to me I almost think of them as being the same. The manufacturer of the bow basically tells you where your sweet spot of your cams are by giving you the axle to axle distance and brace height dimensions. What I do is make sure the ata distance is correct by twisting cables and then remove from press and see if cams roll over close to eachother if not I twist cables to get close as i can guess. I read an article on creep tuning which the process is basically you take a peice of tape horizontally on your target. Shoot at the tape when you pull as hard as you can against the back wall and then do thesame thing only on the next shot let the cams creep to the front wall and if the shots hit in the same spot than your cams are timed. If not you have to twist or untwist cable a turn or two to correct. Once you have successfuly done this process it is amaising how that errant 5" high shot goes away. Search for creep tuning and it should help answer your questions. They're more in depth procedures on other forum pages. I dont know if that is the answer you are looking for but might be a place to strart.
Thanks, yeah I've read up on creep tuning. It's very interesting to say the least. However, cam synch and timing is believed by many (well versed I might add) to NOT be the same. That's why I posted it, because I'm pretty confused as to what their "official" definitions would be if they are truly different. Check out some of Javi's posts over on AT...that's what got me thinking.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 AM

I think i read that post sometime ago. I think that he may have been directing the cam sync article more towards the hybrid or cam and 1/2 bows. I'm not sure if dually's have a syncronization problem but more timing problems and cam and 1/2's have more sync problems than timing. Maybe that is the difference between the 2. If I understand cam and 1/2's right there whole purpose was to eliminate timing issues by linking the cams but maybe they had a new problem with timing so they called it syncronization instead. I guess i'm not much help. Sorry!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Matt,
Sent you a P.M.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 AM

To me cam sync is for true dual cam bows and it simply means getting the cams to roll over at the same time so you don't have two different valleys in the draw cycle.

Cam timing refers to single and hybrid cam bows and means that the cams are in the correct position at rest so you get the right amount of rotation during the draw cycle. One cam will normally effect effeciency and let off and the other will normally effect nock travel.

With my Darton using CPS cams I found that the cams could be grossly out of time and the bow still shot fantastic. I actually got a bit more speed out of it at one point by throwing them out of time and using a different length main string. It does effect how the bow feels when you draw it though.

Paul