Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw Board

Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Draw Board

I was wondering how many of you utilize a draw board to check draw stop timing? I've been reading up on this method, and the opinons on it's effectiveness varies. If you don't utilize this, what other method is better/recommended? It seems for any type of draw stop timing/cam snych, you need to have a either a second person with you or a device such as a draw stop to make these necessary adjustments. Since I'm often alone when working with my bows, I feel that a draw board would be a nice tool to have. Then again, I don't here it mentioned here much, so is it truly necessary? Opinions?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Draw Board

I love my draw board. I am always on my own working on my bows with my son in the Navy now. It is a great way to get things adjusted exactly where you want them. I have tried the hook in the ceiling and pull down method but that was hard to get real picky with. The draw board works great. I built my own with a 2x6 and a boat winch. On one end I drilled a hole and put a 1/2 inch piece of black pipe thru it. On the back Ihave the thread base screwed to the bottom of the board over the hole. I screw in the pipe from the front. This way the pipe goes thru the entire board and it prevents the base plate from pulling out. I put a little pipe insulation on the pipe sticking up to protect the bow. Mount the boat winch on the other end of the board and you are ready to go.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: wihunter402
Mount the boat wench on the other end of the board and you are ready to go.
Hey! This is a family site!! (I think you mean "winch").
Old 02-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: wihunter402
Mount the boat wench on the other end of the board and you are ready to go.
Hey! This is a family site!! (I think you mean "winch").
Yep you would be correct. I fixed it.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies guys. Wihunter, do you have any pictures of your setup? I've seen many different setups and it seems like there's varying opinions on techniques/materials, etc. I've heard it's best to place the peg/rod about 2-3" down from the crank to best simulate the different planes that exist when pulling back a bow (location do your hand on the riser is lower than the nock point). Is this how yours is setup? I've also heard mention that these are best suited to verify/adjust draw stop timing but NOT cam synch. How does one go about adjusting/checking cam sync?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll try to get some pictures tonight and post them tomorrow. As for cam sync I use it for that on my hoyts. I also have a turn buckle on my winch rope so that Ican adjust in very small amounts.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:09 PM

Ok heres a dumb question...what the heck is a Draw Board????
Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a device used to draw back your bow so you can analyize the draw cycle (adjust cam synch, cam timing, etc). You have to make adjustments on a bow bress, but you can see the effects of the adjustments (or if adjustments need to be made) on the draw board. Here's a picture of one.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attach...p;d=1198805741
Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you get the draw board to exactly replicate your grip? Everybody grips the bow differently, right? And tiller tuning exists because of our individual holding tendencies. That being said, how accurate can the draw board be?

I've never used one, I'm just askin'....
Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a draw board, but not for cam timing. For cam timing, I will get it as close as I can by eye, and then do a creep tune on the bow to get it into final timing position. The whole point behind timing (besides maximum efficiency) is to reduce nock travel for those weak shots where you may not execute the shot from the same position in the valley every time. This makes your poor shots hit the same or at least VERY close to the same spot as your normal shots. I'm a LOT more concerned with where the arrows actually hit from the deepest part of the valley, as compared to the back wall, as compared to the front of the valley because thats where the rubber meets the road in terms of consistency for you as the shooter.

With that said, the draw board is a fantastic tool to get a bow setup to the correct draw length, and a fantastic tool to help get your tiller settings in check. I don't have one of my own yet but will be building one soon.

Quick Reply: Draw Board

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.