Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is my optimal draw weight?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is my optimal draw weight?

Recently because of some reading I've done here, I'm nowinterested in figuring out where my most accurate draw DW should theoretically be. What I have read is basically that any set-up will perform best at a certain DW. Thinking about it, this makes alot of sense. Finding this sweet spot though, would probably take a little more than alot of trial and error.

So... what I'd like to do is get an idea on where that DW should be according to my specs. Someone with a program of some sort would probably be able to punch my stats into their program and get a decent starting point for me. Thanks to anyone who's got time.

Stats:

Vectrix
26" DL
50-60 lb limbs currently set at 55
Ripcord drop away rest
G5 meta peep
D-loop, no brass on string
wrist strap trigger release
Maxima 350 3-D selects cut at 26"
4 inch vanes
total arrow weight is about 380
Muzzy 3 blade
250ish fps

Anything missing?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What is my optimal draw weight?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the arrows you have are horribly spined on the high side. Even at 60 lbs it would bring them out of being maxed out of spine. I even went down to the maxima 150's and at 60 lbs it was still in the middle of the red zone for high spine. Here is a shot of what OT2 showed for the 350's. In it look at what the static spine says for your arrow and then look at what it says is your optimal spine and you will see how far apart they are

Old 02-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to run the program for me. Is there an arrow that CX makes that will bring me into optimal spine simply by changing to those arrows and keeping everything else the same?

I realize the problem is that the shaft length is only26". This being the case, wouldn't I have an issue with most arrows on the market? There has to be an arrow made to accomodate my set-up right?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Hoytail, here is a snapshot that showed some choices from carbon express. They arent the CX ones but they are from carbon Express. I will post it here and then go back in and see what other arrows from other manufacturers would be ok for you and post it on another post
Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Ok here are some more of the choices. What it shows is that you will need an arrow in the .600 spine rangeat the specs you gave me
Old 02-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man I feel so cheated by the shop that sold me these arrows. I guess since I never specifically asked if they would work for my set-up the shop just put a "don't ask don't tell" policy into affect. I just trusted that they would sell me something that would work considering they sold me the Vectrix and seemed pretty forthright about everything. I suppose I can't blame them becaue if someone wants to buy something and have the money for it, it's not their duty to figure out if the purchase is right for that person. Them things weren't cheap either - I think something like 140 a dozen iirc.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should take the arrows back and tell them to give you the right ones. If they are reputable they will do it and admit they messed-up.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, thing is I bought them in October of 07 and already harvested 3 deer with them. They're fairly accurate for my taste (2 inch group at 20yds) but since I've been reading other related threadson here, I've just become curious as to the possibility of tighter groups if I could find that sweet spot. Come to find out (above) that I'm waaay far from it and considering I'm not grouping too terribly, I might just leave well enough alone.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Host of Hosts

I can't blame them becaue if someone wants to buy something and have the money for it, it's not their duty to figure out if the purchase is right for that person.
You can blame them.... You went to them trusting they would be professional and get you set up correctly. Just because you had money to spend doesn't mean they had totake it by selling the wrong arrows to you. They could have still sold you the right ones for your setup. I'd tell them what you found out and tell them they lost a good customer in the future.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

They probably had a bunch of 350's in stock and figured you for an easy mark. I've been told that some places do stuff like that and it's just wrong. Eve nif it was last year you should still say something to them about it.

And if they tell you those are the right arrows I'd start telling everyone you know in that area that the place doesn't know how to size arrows.It's a matter of principle more than getting a refund or the correct shafts from them. They took advantage of your lack of knowledge on a subject. Imagine how many other people they must do that to. It's just not right and bad business.

By the way. I'm glad to see that you provided most of what is needed for a simulation.

Quick Reply: What is my optimal draw weight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.