Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is my optimal draw weight?

Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is my optimal draw weight?

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

You can blame them.... You went to them trusting they would be professional and get you set up correctly. Just because you had money to spend doesn't mean they had totake it by selling the wrong arrows to you.
True, and in their shoes I wouldn't do that to someone but I realize they are in the business of selling things. They don't have a legal responsibility to sell me what's perfect for my set-up. They do have however have an ethical responsibility to do so.

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

They probably had a bunch of 350's in stock and figured you for an easy mark.
Also true, but don't misunderstand though - they weren't pushing the 350's on me. I bought 250's from them but found that those arrows had a thinner wall than the 350. I put a second shot into a deer that didn't pass through and the deer rolled around on the ground and broke it. I also hit a branch on a shot at a pheasant and my arrow broke into 3 pieces. That's why I went looking for the 350's and the shop had them. They did say though,thatpeople hardly ever bought those arrows because they were such tight tolerance and expensive so they were stocked full of them. 2+2=?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just wonderin,....

If I am waaaay overspined and still able to group 2 inches at 25 (yeah I said 20 earlier but I meant 25 'cause I always sight for 25) should I expect that a 1 inch group is possible if the arrow was in perfect tune? btw- the 40yd group is about 4 inches.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 AM

Not necessarily. You can shoot arrows that are way overspined and often get good groups. The problem comes when you try to get fixed broadheads to shoot with your field points. Real tough to get it tuned.

With expandables, you might not even notice. What is happening, every time you launch an arrow, is that the stiff arrow is wanting to angle to the left and the fletching is usually able to mostly straighten it out. Not the best scenario for energy efficiency or arrow penetration, but it will work. If you were to shoot an unfletched shaft, you would see it flying through the air into the target at angle left.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The point of having the correct spine and a tuned bow and a tuned arrow is to get the maximum amount of stored energy in the bow transferred to the arrow and then for that energy (transferred energynow in the arrow)to be effective on the target. If the bow is not tuned it will not transfer enrgy efficiently. If the arrow is improperly spined/not tunedit will not accept energy from the bow efficiently and it will not be able to use what energy it has effectively on the target.

This is an extreme example but... If the arrow hits the target sideways (extremely bad setup)you will not get any penetration. The straighter it hits the target (less major oscillations) the better the penetration. When you have a correctly spined/tuned arrow shot from a correctly tuned bow you should get maximum penetration. And that is what we all want maximum target penetration/passthru's.