Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bohning PLastic Fletch Kit (red)

Old 02-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bohning PLastic Fletch Kit (red)

I have the bohning plastic fletching kit with the straight jig. I was told by my local shop that trying to put helical on blazer 2" vanes is not possible. I have been reading today on the forum that this is possible. Also I have read about offset. I am still learning this whole fletching thing (first year at doing my own) can anyone please tell me how to fletch with an offset using my setup and two if I by the helical jig which one shol I use (right or left)? I draw back with my right hand I don't know if this makes a difference in helical choice. I having been shooting archery equipment for many years but always shot what the shop said ws best for me and now I want to better understand the technical side of archery to hopefully get more accurate.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bohning PLastic Fletch Kit (red)

I was told by my local shop that trying to put helical on blazer 2" vanes is not possible.
Some pro shops shouldn't use the term "pro".

I fletch blazers with helical all the time. It is just a simple matter of adjusting the clamp properly just like you would any other fletch. Many "pro shops", and many people in general,say that you can't fletch them with helical because they are so short. But think about it this way. Take a 4" vane and set it up for a hard right helical. Once you have it set correctly cut the vane in half and glue it to the shaft. Did the vane some how make it impossible to use the helical clamp just because it is now shorter? Wasn't the back two inches of the vane in the clamp when it was wet up? Aren't the same back two inches of the vane going to go back in the clamp to be glued to the shaft?

Having said that, Bohning reccomends a simple offset.I prefer to use helical when I fletch with blazers.

Offset is using the straight clamp and adjusting the jig so that the vane is not perfectly straight. You can usually only go a few degrees before you start seeing the tips of the vane not touching the shaft.

Left or right wing is entirely your choice and it matters not when using vanes. But if you were to use feathers then you MUST use feathers with the same "wing" as the clamp you are using. I do find it easier to fletch with a right wing clamp than I do with a left wing clamp.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Thank You very much I think I am going to try the offset this weekend and order a right helical jig tonight. You are correct in the "pro" shops sometimes. I must remember that they are human too and might not have all the answers. I believe they were saying they couldn't fletch them with a helical because they are too stiff of a vane. These are the same guys that set me up with a Vapor 5000 arrow which I feel is way to stiff but that is yet to be determined I will keep you all updated.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:56 PM

The Bohning jig says you can put offset into the fletching. But there's no way to set accurate offset, for example 2 or 3 degrees. You just have to guessimate it. I have my jig marked at what I think is about 2 degrees and fletch all my Blazers that way.

Not much help, eh?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

No that helps I did do some offset blazers last night and I hope to try them this weekend if the weather permits.