Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

both eye dominant?

Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Default both eye dominant?

Can people be both eye dominant? I ask only because I set up a left handed bow yesterday (Parker, of course) and served it up and got everything together right and figured, heck, I'm gonna shoot it.

If any of you remember my post about whether or not to shoot that bow that had road rash something awful, this is the same bow, I decided to shoot it. It's my buddies, but I've pretty much laid claim to it.

Anyway, I got the sites set, and man, I couldn't believe it. It felt as natural as shooting right handed. Everything. The loose hand, the drawback, the release, following the pins, everything.

I also felt like I could pick up the pins and targets just as well as I could right handed (I shoot with one eye closed both ways).

Anyway, is this fairly common? It was pretty neat, I must add. I love shooting left handed now, lol. It just felt so natural, it was awesome.

If it helps, I am ambidexterious in most things I do (I can write left handed pretty good, I can throw and hit baseball left handed, throw football both ways, etc, etc).

So, I guess I'm asking if anyone else out there thinks they are both eye dominant, or if it's even possible lol.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: both eye dominant?

I shoot a bow Right-handed, however, I do EVERYTHING else left-handed, but I now after years (16 or so) am more ambidextrous when it come to eye dominance.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM

Default RE: both eye dominant?

ORIGINAL: sngehl01
(I shoot with one eye closed both ways).
Thanks
There's the answer to your riddle.

The answer to your question is no, you can't be "both" eye dominant. Eye dominance defines which eye is dominant over the other but since it's relational, both eyes have to be open for it to come in to play. If you're closing one eye then you've cancelled the effects of eye dominance. This is how many shooters with cross dominant eyes are still able to shoot with their dominant side; they have to close their dominant eye.