Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question

Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question

I'm new to bowhunting and when I purchased and got fitted for my new bow, the salesman recommended that I get a sight with only one sight on it. Now that I'm adjusting to the bow, I think I would like a 3 sight instead of one.What do you recommend for a beginner? To me a 3 sight that's sighted in at different yardage, would eliminate the guess work. Or at least would make it easier. Please Help!!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Question

Hi Zophy, I guess to answer the question correctly there are some things we need to know in order to get the full picture but I am going to give you a vague answer as what I believe his recomendation is reffering to. I am not sure what bow you are shooting but if it is a blazing fast bow with light arrows your pin sight that has more than 1 pin will be gapped so close that in all reality you arecapable of just using one pin set at 23-25 yards and if you shoot ata target about 15 yards away you will be a touch high but if it is 30 yards you may be a smidge low. Assuming you are going to use 10-20-30 yard increment for your three pin setup. So if youknow the distances pretty close, just having one pin and adjusting the point of impact (bullseye)up or downaccording to the distance in front of or past 23-25 yards you should be pretty close to the kill zone because of the flat trajectory of your blazing fast bow. If you are not shooting an extremely fast bow the three pin setup at 20-30-40 or 15-25-35 yard settings is probably the way to go. Hope i didn't confuse you because I think i confused myself.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st of all WELCOME.....
A single pin is good if you are shooting 18-24/24-30 yrds depending how you set it,but then again bow speed and arrows play into the mix also...If your not that good at figuring outyardage a 3 or 4 pin would be the way to go 10-20-30 or 10,20,30,40 or 20,30,40,50...these are just examples.A single pin adjustable is nice for 3-D shooting as long as you remember to move the pin between shots....
It takes some trial and error but you will find a sight that works for you,its just like finding the perfect rest......alot of trial and error...
Ive tried single pin,single pin adjustable,single pengelim pin(spl),3 pin,4 pin and just today I put a 5 pin 19mm Exreme sight on and love it.....Like I said...Trial and error....
Good luck
Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

I have the new Mathews DXT and love it. I use the Carbon Express Mathews Edition arrows if that helps any. I was looking at the G5 Optix 4 pin XR.