Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Front of Center

Old 02-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Front of Center

I just got done building a few maxima hunter 350's with a front of center of about 14.4%. I was just curious what everyones input is on recomended FOC, and how much difference it can make. Everyone's input is welcome.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Front of Center

I would be happy with 14.4%. My current arrow has 17% FOC and any new deer arrows I make will be that high or higher. I wouldn't use less than 12% for deer hunting and probably wouldn't try to get much more tha 20-22%. I also like a heavier arrow (500gr minimum total weight)with that good FOC. I know everyone doesn't like heavier arrows but I think regardless of heavy/light arrowyou need agood FOC. I think a good range is between 12-20%.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks bruce. I havent had a chance to weight these but they should be right around 385 grains. I prefer to keep mine under 400 grains, just presonal preferance.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 PM

I am a huge proponent of High FOC arrows. My setup last year was a 2005 Old Glory set up shooting 65lbs with 453 grn arrows with a FOC of 22% (205 grains up front on the arrow) shooting at 260FPS with Kinetic energy of 67 ft lbs. My bow has never shot better than it does with a high FOC setup. those arrows are flying great. I highly reccomend tinkering sometime with an arrow setup with a FOC over 18 or 19 trust me you will notice a difference. Yes it will slow your arrows down and you may have to go up in spine weight but, trust me arrows with that weight up front really pack a punch. Read some of the reports by Dr. Ashby on broadheads and you will she he is also a huge propent of this also and has the scientific evidence to back it up.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

14.4% is good. I am usually Happy with anything 12% or more. I built aset of FMJ's last year and ended up with over 20% but I used brass inserts to accomplish it.

Dan
Old 02-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Not to be a stickler but FOC is Forward Of Center. "Front Of Center" is just poor English and it makes me cringe every time I hear it. Mine has always been about 12% for my hunting arrows and a bit less for target arrows. They have always grouped fine at that FOC but I've never tried anything radical to get more and see if they get better. If I can't get the heavier shaft weight since Easton dropped the A/C Superslim I may try the A/C/C next time and use a brass insert to make up the difference to get a 500 grain arrow which is also going to up the FOC substantially.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys, Ill work on my english Kodiak
Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: passthru79

thanks guys, Ill work on my english Kodiak
Don't feel bad, at least you're in good company; a majority that even includes CX. [8D]
Old 02-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

They have always grouped fine at that FOC but I've never tried anything radical to get more and see if they get better.
If bow and arrow are set up correctly I doubt a high FOC will help produce better groups. It is my understanding that the high FOC makes the arrow flighta little more forgiving in poor conditions and really helps with penetration. I know that, from my own experience, my 17% FOC arrows would definitely out penetrate my targets compared to arrows that I have at around 11-12% FOC. I set my deer arrows up with a high FOC for the better penetration it is supposed to provide.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like heavy FOC too. I shoot about 12.5% on 3D and 21.7 % for hunting.

Quick Reply: Front of Center

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.