Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Front of Center

Old 02-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Front of Center

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

The more speed I can get, the closer my pins are to each other, the easier it becomes to judge distance and make a solid shot.
Then I will say get to know your bow and become better at judging distance or better yet buy a range finder

My bow at 61lb with a 28" draw lenght is pushing my extreme 24.8%FOC arrows out at 277fps.

At longer ranges my pins are actually closer together than they are for the shorter distances.

Meaning my arrows are maintaining more speed and momentium down range, I wont even mention the thud they hit the target at.

Don't knock it if you have not tried it
Read what Arthur says above. FOC has nothing to do with maintaining speed. Arrow weight does. Two arrows of the same weight but different FOC's will maintain the same speed. The FOC has no benefit until the arrow strikes the target.

I'm not nocking anyone's choice of arrow set-up or bow set-up myself. We all have a personal preference and there is nothing wrong with 10-15% FOC for hunting.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, you realize he was doing the originalresearch for the Nepal gov't, who was trying to determine what archery rigs should be legal for hunting big game, right? Did you know that he is currently doing a follow-up study in Australia? This new study is where he's found out so much about the benefits of extreme FOC. Check out his updates on tradgang.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

You make it sound like I'm an unethical hunter for shooting the set-up I have? You are also making it sound like any hunter that does not shoot an extreme FOC arrow is also unethical.

I have a 437 gr arrow that is traveling at 293 fps.The arrow has more momentum than a 700 gr arrow at 180 fps. Many people on here do not shoot a 700 gr arrow; noteven a 600 gr arrow for that matter. A few don't even shoot a 430 gr arrow that talk about high FOC. They have a slower and lighter arrow thatI will bet money will not out penetrate even with 25% FOC. Bottom line is that my arrowhas enough momentum from arrow weight and speed.

The momentum my arrow has isenough for any animal on this continent. I hate using this term. "But my arrow will blow through most animals" and is more ethical than many of the long bow (or low DL) heavy arrowset-ups I see people use that have arrows sticking out of animals that they shot.

I'm not nocking people that shoot high FOC. It's their choice and people should be comfortable in their equipment.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

No disrespect to Ashby or you but I'm not interested. I'm sure it will be well written and an excellent article in it's wonright.

I'm intelligent enough to know what an arrow can and can't do based on the weight displacement, velocity, arrow spine, etc. If the FOC was a concern I'd do something about it.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Dave, you realize he was doing the originalresearch for the Nepal gov't, who was trying to determine what archery rigs should be legal for hunting big game, right? Did you know that he is currently doing a follow-up study in Australia? This new study is where he's found out so much about the benefits of extreme FOC. Check out his updates on tradgang.
Art, I've found out that you'll go blind before we get our point across. I've quit a long time ago trying. I just grin and bear it.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not trying to convince anyone to shoot extreme FOC. None of my business. I'm just not too fond of someone saying they read Ashby's report and then start tossing out little 'factoids' that prove they either ---didn't read more than the first paragraph or two --- or read it while brain dead --- or completely misinterpreted practically everything in it.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not trying to convince anyone to shoot extreme FOC. None of my business. I'm just not too fond of someone saying they read Ashby's report and then start tossing out little 'factoids' that prove they either ---didn't read more than the first paragraph or two --- or read it while brain dead --- or completely misinterpreted practically everything in it.
That's too funny.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok Ive seen that muzzy makes brass inserts, my question is do they make one to fit the CX Maxima Hunter 350 shafts and I was also wondering does anyone know of a brass insert that wasnt quit as heavy. I think muzzy has a 50 grain, thats a little heavier than I wanted to go.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try here.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Thumb.asp?c=57&s=47&p=257
Old 02-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Art, I've found out that you'll go blind before we get our point across. I've quit a long time ago trying. I just grin and bear it.
I'm pretty sure I said the report was for big game and then you guys say it isn't. Yet, then quote it is. You should try pointing out when one of your own uses a wrong factoid. Now that's too funny.

Quick Reply: Front of Center

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.