Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Front of Center

Old 02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Front of Center

I have several sets of arrows I use for hunting CX Maximas, CX Maxima Hunters, ACC's, and FMJ's. I built the FMJ's late last year and used the brass HIT inserts. The FOC on that arrow with a 125 grain Slick Trick is over 20%. All my hunting arrows have a minimum of 12% and the FMJ's with the high FOC have a noted advantage in forgiveness to me. I don't think you would say I shoot a slow bow.

Dan
Old 02-20-2008, 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: passthru79

I just got done building a few maxima hunter 350's with a front of center of about 14.4%. I was just curious what everyones input is on recomended FOC, and how much difference it can make. Everyone's input is welcome.
10%-15% is best in my opinion. Anything higher and you begin to lose toomuch speed for what increase in penetration you gain.

Besides, it's all about shot placement.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

ORIGINAL: passthru79

I just got done building a few maxima hunter 350's with a front of center of about 14.4%. I was just curious what everyones input is on recomended FOC, and how much difference it can make. Everyone's input is welcome.
10%-15% is best in my opinion. Anything higher and you begin to lose too much speed for what increase in penetration you gain.

Besides, it's all about shot placement.
Lose too much speed above 15% FOC. I have an FOC of 22% and my bow still shoots 260fps. And still its been proven by Dr. Ed Ashby that even with slower bows with high to extreme FOC out perform penetration wise a faster bow with a lower FOC. If you haven't read his reports, they are a great education in archery
Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM

I get two pages into his reports and I fall asleep.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate technical documents. In my line of work I read them a lot.

I just need Ashby's Cliff Notes version.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 PM

Call me crazy but I am not willing to sacrifice speed for FOC.

The more speed I can get, the closer my pins are to each other, the easier it becomes to judge distance and make a solid shot.

My arrows fly great with as little as 10% FOC.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've read Ashby's entire report. I believe you are misquoting what he said. He says a slow heavy arrow with high FOC will out penetrate a fast light arrow with a low FOC.Ther are a lot of variables that make that equation correct. how fast and heavy is the slow arrow and how light is the fast arrow?

Furthermore, he never states that youshould not use 12% FOC for hunting and states that there are many factors that can be taken into consideration that he left out by using similar diameter arrows and such. And, his entire report was based around the fact that he wanted arrows for hunting Cape buffalo.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

High FOC does NOT affect speed at all.Total arrow weight affects speed. You don't have to lose speed to shoot extreme FOC if you don't want to. You just have to put some thought and effortinto your arrow design.

There are very light shafts you can combine with weighted inserts and heavy tips and still maintain the total arrow weight you want. High Country's Speed Pro shafts spring to mind immediately.Plus you can usually bump up FOC by a couple of extrapoints just by switching from vanes to feathers.

Good grief, Dave! You need to sit down and read the reports, not just skim through them. "He wanted arrows for hunting Cape Bufflalo..." That's not even close to being the reason he's spent all these years putting together this body of research.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

The more speed I can get, the closer my pins are to each other, the easier it becomes to judge distance and make a solid shot.
Then I will say get to know your bow and become better at judging distance or better yet buy a range finder

My bow at 61lb with a 28" draw lenght is pushing my extreme 24.8%FOC arrows out at 277fps.

At longer ranges my pins are actually closer together than they are for the shorter distances.

Meaning my arrows are maintaining more speed and momentium down range, I wont even mention the thud they hit the target at.

Don't knock it if you have not tried it
Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason he started doing the research was for hunting Aftrican Game. He states that on the first page. I know he goes into deer sized game and such. However, most of his tests were performed on heavy skin and heavy bone.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

The reason he started doing the research was for hunting Aftrican Game. He states that on the first page. I know he goes into deer sized game and such. However, most of his tests were performed on heavy skin and heavy bone.

Right Dave, But wouldn't you want the most penetration you could possibly get?

Quick Reply: Front of Center

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.