Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Front of Center

Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 PM

Default RE: Front of Center

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

They have always grouped fine at that FOC but I've never tried anything radical to get more and see if they get better.
If bow and arrow are set up correctly I doubt a high FOC will help produce better groups. It is my understanding that the high FOC makes the arrow flighta little more forgiving in poor conditions and really helps with penetration. I know that, from my own experience, my 17% FOC arrows would definitely out penetrate my targets compared to arrows that I have at around 11-12% FOC. I set my deer arrows up with a high FOC for the better penetration it is supposed to provide.
But is that from the high FOC or from a higher total weight? If the two arrows are hitting equally square I can't see how a high FOC is going to make a difference in penetration between two shafts of the same weight. The higher FOC arrow would however have a tendency to hit more square in most circumstances (meaning the imperfect world) since the fletching has better leverage on the tip to keep it in a straight trajectory, and would therefore penetrate better.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weight forward will out penetrate and arrow with the weight more distributed. How much that matters on deer sized game with how high the momentum is on most bows today is debatable. With most of the mass near the front of the arrow you will not have the arrow flexing as much upon impact and therefore maintaining forward momentum more efficiently.

With the weight near the back it will force the shaft to flex upon impact and youwill loose momentum.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

They have always grouped fine at that FOC but I've never tried anything radical to get more and see if they get better.
If bow and arrow are set up correctly I doubt a high FOC will help produce better groups. It is my understanding that the high FOC makes the arrow flighta little more forgiving in poor conditions and really helps with penetration. I know that, from my own experience, my 17% FOC arrows would definitely out penetrate my targets compared to arrows that I have at around 11-12% FOC. I set my deer arrows up with a high FOC for the better penetration it is supposed to provide.
But is that from the high FOC or from a higher total weight? If the two arrows are hitting equally square I can't see how a high FOC is going to make a difference in penetration between two shafts of the same weight. The higher FOC arrow would however have a tendency to hit more square in most circumstances (meaning the imperfect world) since the fletching has better leverage on the tip to keep it in a straight trajectory, and would therefore penetrate better.
You could have two 400gr arrows but one could have a 15%FOC and the other could have a 10%FOC and the 15 is supposed to out penetrate the 10. With the higher FOC, the way I think of it from my readings,the back of the arrow is more inclined to follow the front. Yes, if the arrows hit equally square the initial force would be centered but once flesh and bone start influencing the the arrow the back will no longer be centered behind the front. That is when the extra weight, higher FOC, matters.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Weight forward will out penetrate and arrow with the weight more distributed. How much that matters on deer sized game with how high the momentum is on most bows today is debatable. With most of the mass near the front of the arrow you will not have the arrow flexing as much upon impact and therefore maintaining forward momentum more efficiently.

With the weight near the back it will force the shaft to flex upon impact and youwill loose momentum.
Agreed with everything you say except........LOL it probably doesn't matter so much if your DW is 60lbs+ but if you are shooting a lower DW and not generating the FPS that 65-70lbs gives you then the higher FOC is nice insurance to have. I am thinking young folks getting into the sport, smaller women that don't have draw length, folks that just want to shoot low DW, stuff like that.

This spring I am going to set up one arrow to shoot at 53lbs DW. the arrow will have 15.3%FOC and weigh 356grs. It will still be going pretty fast but IMO the higher FOC will be a benefit with the lighter arrow.

One of the things I have come to love about archery/bowhunting is that there is room for many, many well thought out variations of accomplishing the same thing, taking game with bow and arrow.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

bruce,

I agree with you. I should have stated a minimum DW when making my post. Lower DW's would benefit from the increased FOC.

I'd like to thank whoever told me about the Arrow Dynamics Nitro Stingers. I purchased the "Gold" model which is 8.9 gpi and my total arrow is 437 gr. They are an easy$85 way of increasing the FOC with standard BH's. My FOC went from 12.3 or so to 14.5% just by switching to these arrows and no change in arrow weight from the GT XT Hunters.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

You guys are sort of on the right track

You are not going to see a great big difference going from 12% to 15% FOC.

You wont see any real big difference till you get the FOC to 19% and above.

ArthurP, Straightarrow and myself got jumped all over here not so long ago about this very subject.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the thing people disagreed with is that if you need to have that high of an FOC and such and so forth with today's equipment.Not about the benefits of very high FOC for slow bows.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dave.

High FOC even has it's benifits for fast bows as well

Less wind drift in a cross wind is just one of them
Old 02-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'veseen very little deviation from my aim point in high winds with12.3% FOC.During this winter I've shot out to 120 yds in high winds and gusting winds (20+mph in an open field). The only issueI had out pastmy bottom pin's range was judging holdover.I did not see any arrow drift.

I understand the physics of what you are saying very clearly and respect that. I've just seen no reason to try it.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't doubt you don't see dramatic benefits at 12.3%. That is just barely nudging it's noseto the top of 'standard' FOC range. You aren't high FOC until you get into 13-18% range. 19% and over is where you get into extreme FOC, and that's where penetration potential really takes off.

Quick Reply: Front of Center

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.