Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A few questions about fletching

Old 02-08-2003, 07:06 AM

Default A few questions about fletching

Good Morning,

It's been awhile so please if these are dumb questions just bear with me. If you have a bag of feathers, how do you tell if it's right or left wing? This bag is all 4inch parabolic but I don't know which wing. Also can you only a right helical on a right wing feather?
When looking at your arrow how can you tell which way it's fletched? I'm looking to get back into building my own arrows and used to know all this info, but it's been 20+ years so I need to re-learn all about doing this. A fletching jig has recently been dug out of my mother's basement along with a bunch of feathersand some other things. I have no idea what make or model, and I can't remember about the feathers. When looking at the clamps for the jig how can I tell if they're for right or left helical? Thanks in advance!!

Vudoochylde

An Archer likes to see how far he can shoot his arrow. A Bowhunter likes to see how close he can get before he has to shoot his.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:38 PM

Default RE: A few questions about fletching

if you lay the feathers out top side up less quill showing with fibers pointing down. if the feathers have the big end out to the right they are right wing if they have the the big end out to the left they are left wing.As far as what kind of clamp you have its probably marked on them and if not you would have to fight the feather in the clamp if it was the wrong side.

you can use your pepper spray my 12 gauge with 3 inch slugs works fine
Old 02-09-2003, 09:12 AM

Default RE: A few questions about fletching

selway, thanks for the response. Since I don't currently have these items in my posession I can't verify anything about them. But I'm hoping to get the stuff soon. I've got to make a phone call and see if I can get someone to mail the stuff to me. I'm hoping it will be soon. Thanks again for the reply.

Vudoochylde

An Archer likes to see how far he can shoot his arrow. A Bowhunter likes to see how close he can get before he has to shoot his.