Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Decibels

Old 02-05-2008, 10:34 AM

Default Decibels

Has anyone ever measured the sound their bow makes with an electrical meter/device? ...or differences with and without accessories used to quiet bows? I wouldn't expect the average person to do this but a shop may have or someone selling a product.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Decibels

I am getting ready to setup for a test. I am getting a program from a friend who is big on tuning clock chimes. So he can not only measure peak DB, but also high freq humms and such.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Awesome! Let me know the results for sure!
Old 02-05-2008, 01:54 PM

I don't think a regular DB meter like you get at radio shack would be fast enough to accurately measure the sound of a bow. I have one of the digital ones and I don't think it would work quite right.

I think you would need something a bit more expensive and specialized for it to be accurate.

Paul
Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't think a regular DB meter like you get at radio shack would be fast enough to accurately measure the sound of a bow. I have one of the digital ones and I don't think it would work quite right.

I think you would need something a bit more expensive and specialized for it to be accurate.

Paul
All you need is a very good sound card on your computer and a mic. I just recieved some software called analyzer 2000 that you can capture what you need and analyze not only peak sound, but length, frequency content, etc.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:31 AM

Does it work on Windows XP and do you have a link where I might be able to find it?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LostInWoods

Does it work on Windows XP and do you have a link where I might be able to find it?
Yep, it works for XP.

http://www.brownbear.de/