Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I couldn't stand it

Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I couldn't stand it

Some of you may remember the thread I had in the bowhunting forum a couple daysago( http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2610747)about the bow I have been playing with that has a bent riser.I was just going to leave well alone but I am not wired that way so I cranked it up to 70# and proceeded to straighten it some more.I figured I would fix it or break it.

After all was said and done,this is what I ended up with. This is in the static position,full draw is best but I don't have a shooting machine at my house,it will be on one before it is over.

TOP CAM

STRING

BOTTOM LIMB POCKET

TOP LIMB POCKET

STRAIGHT EDGE FROM BOTTOM TO TOP

RESULTS WITH CENTER SHOT SET CORRECTLY WITH CORRECT SPINE ARROW

AND,it maintained the same integrity when I cranked the bow down to 56#'s

Old 02-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I couldn't stand it

Here is the bow almost completely setup.I was really surprised as to how well this bow shoots and tunes now.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

note to self....if your bow ever gets tough to tune, bend the riser and bend it back into normal position....

looks like you ended up taking it??

good luck with it...careful...i know id be a bit leary with the magnesium riser...then again, that just might be WHY it still might be useable...alumanum would most likely cracked id imagine...i think magnesium is kinda more like lead and had a little more "give" and flexibility...could be wrong...but if so, could be a weak/soft spot now...but your smart enough to know what your doing and keep an eye on it...
Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't made an offer yet.I believe no more than I bent this,even aluminum would be fine .Especially T 6061

If I keep it,there will be a straight edge placed on it about once a week for about a year.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

It does make one wonder how many bow tuning problems might be due to bent or warped risers. That's the one real problem I have with machined aluminum risers and the big reason I always preferred forged risers.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quite impressive, I hope someday to know half as much about tuning bows and fixing stuff as you do, TFOX. I learn a little more each year, but I'll never be good, only capable of "tinkering."
Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

It does make one wonder how many bow tuning problems might be due to bent or warped risers. That's the one real problem I have with machined aluminum risers and the big reason I always preferred forged risers.

This is a cast magnesium riser.

I had it tuned well to paper and centershot with the riser still a little bent but it is a little better now.[8D]

He tried to charge me $200.00 for it and I laughed,he then said $100.00 and I said how about $75 and he said I guess that's better than nothing.

When he said 200 I just about choked and was getting ready to charge him 100 for fixing it.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is a cast magnesium riser
I must not have been paying attention if you said that before. I thought you were talking about a machined aluminum riser! Cast magnesium... I think I'd be drawing up the seat of my drawers in a serious pucker when drawing it ifthat thingneeded a lot of straightening. Watch for cracks!
Old 02-05-2008, 04:03 PM

How much of a "tweak" did you have to give it? 1/4"?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

This is a cast magnesium riser
I must not have been paying attention if you said that before. I thought you were talking about a machined aluminum riser! Cast magnesium... I think I'd be drawing up the seat of my drawers in a serious pucker when drawing it ifthat thingneeded a lot of straightening. Watch for cracks!

I think I said that but maybe I didn't.That is why I was taking it a LITTLE at a time.The cast process has gotten MUCH better so that is the only reason I attempted it AND I told him it may crack or break.

Roskoe,a 1/4" is about right.I figured it was bent about .075 to .100 and I went about that much past center so a 1/4" is pretty close.

I have a couple weeks to pay him so I can watch it and see if it moves.

Quick Reply: I couldn't stand it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.