Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

General Arrows

Old 01-30-2008, 08:55 PM

Default General Arrows

OK experts I need your help. If you've read my other posts you know that I am new to archery and trying to figure things out. I just got a Bowtech General with a peak weight of 70 and a 29" draw. I anticipate that I will start at about 65lbs and move up to 70lbs. I need help picking out an arrow. I have read a lot of posts about arrows and they confuse me quite a bit. Depending on the draw weight, it appears some arrows work better than others. What would work well for my set up? I was looking at Gold Tips because they are the straightest (+-.001) but is straightness the most important thing I should be looking at?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:34 AM

Default RE: General Arrows

Drubie i think an easton epic 400 or comprable brand would be a good starter arrow. It is not quite as expensive as the axis's and gold tips of the world but you shouldn't need the straightest arrows unless your competition shooting. You want to buy the correct spined arrow and if you are planning to bump up your draw weight you should make sure the arrows you select will be spined enough for your future draw weight other wise you will have to buy new ones but that is what i used for an excuse on the old lady. I'm glad she didnt see the price on the fmj. With that being said there are other things to focus on besides the straightest arrows for begining archers. Just make sure they are the correct length and spine for your setup and the proshop should be able to help.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: General Arrows

Drubie22,
At your draw length and intended final draw weight I would try something in the spine range of 340. Keep in mind with arrows cost is usually an indicator of arrow quality. Will cheaper arrows work? Sure it just depends on your preference. Here are my rating on a few popular shafts.
1. ACC's
2. FMJ's
3. CX Maxima's
4. Easton Axis
5. Beman ICS Hunters
Those will all shoot well and do the job. Whether the extra quality is worth the extra price depends on the individual

Dan