Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help...peep made bow noisy???!!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Default Need help...peep made bow noisy???!!

Hey guys I am hoping you can help me...I have a Mathews Q2 that has always been very quite. Welllast year I switched peep sights. I have always used the round plastic peeps that split the string 3 ways andswitched to a round aluminum peep that splits the string in half. Since the switch there is noticeable increase in vibration that can be felt as well as heard. The vibration even makes the bracket on my T5 quiver sound like a tuning fork. I talked my friend into using one of these aluminum peeps cause he was using the type that use the rubber tube to align it and had it break several times. A little after we put it in he called and said he knew where my bows noise was coming from that the new peep made his bow noisier..... I refused to believe it. He came over and shot the bow and sure enough it was way louder than it was with the other peep. I just shot mine with and without the peep on and the vibration / noise went away when the peep was not on the string. I really like this style of peep and would like to stay with one of this design. What I am trying to figure out is what causes this peep to increase vibration? Would it be the weight, the size or the way it splits the string? I was looking at the G5 META peepscause they look a bit smaller in size and I assume in weight as well and thought about tryin them. Have any of you had this problem or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 AM

Default RE: Need help...peep made bow noisy???!!

Never heard of such a thing in 20+ years of playing with bows... If anything I'd think a smaller/lighter peep would make it worse since the string would travel faster and oscilate more. Which might be exactly what you're seeing. You took weight off the string and increased the speed of your bow which is creating more energy/noise. Sounds like a classic case for one of Mean V's string dampers or at least some string leaches or cat whiskers.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM

I have never heard of such of a thing. The peep will make the string move farther forward because of the weight. The arrow will stay on the string a little longer. A string that has no peep if any thing should make the bow nosier. Like KodiaArcher said with no peep the bow would be a little faster and noisier.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Ive shot a bow with a G5 meta peep and it was very silent so i would give that a try and if that doesnt work then try some type of string sliencers.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is that all you did? I'd think you'd have to twist the string to get it rotating right. In any eventI Believe bows with long strings, like Mathews would benifit from a string supressor.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 PM

I did have to rotate the string half a turn after I shot it a few times & it settled down to get it to lne up right. I do have suppressors on the string (sims leeches)
Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

i know on my dad's drenalin that he put in a tru peep and it was a little louder than the rubber tubed plastic jobs.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:14 PM

I am going to try some other peeps to see if I can eliminate the extra noise...I sure would hate to have to go with the rubber tube aligned type. Thanks for the input.