Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Advantages of bigger or Smaller Axle to Axle Length

Old 01-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Advantages of bigger or Smaller Axle to Axle Length

would everyone please stop posting stuff about ATA differences and why you should buy a 82nd airborne,

I am still getting the general, no matter what you people say.....

but this is def. messing up my decision making here, so stop it !!!

Frank
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

I only speak for myself. I have a short draw and small frame. I shoot a tech29, less than 30" ata. I shoot fine. Last year I got a 33" ata bow. I really like shooting this bow as well, but going to the woods, I still preferred my other short bow. So for bigger frame and longer DL, I agreed with others.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:32 PM

I think that longer a to a bows are more steady. 1 more thing is dont limit yourself to just mathews cuz that is the way i was and then i shot a BOWTECH 82ND AIRBORNE after i shot the dxt and i liked the dxt and LOVED THE BOWTECH
Old 01-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

It takes less material to make a 30" bow than it takes to make a 45" bow. Set yourself up to have less cost for raw materials and convince consumers that they WANT super short bows and sell them for the same price as a full length bow - or more. That's increased profit margin andTHAT is the true advantage of short bows.

So, short bows are more manueverable in the woods. Heck, even my old46" ProTec is 22" shorter andmore manueverablein the woods than my longbow. It's 18" shorter than my favorite recurve. Unless you're hunting in the middle of a holly hedge, you don't need a pocket rocket bow to get manueverability. Most of it, I think, is akin to the speed syndrome -"my bow is faster'n your bow" becomes "my bow's shorter than your bow."

Of the sub-40" bows I've owned, onlytwo have been able to deliver the kind of accuracy and consistencyI demand from a bow and they were 37" and38". It's getting hard to find bows that are actually long enough to give the stability benefits the guys above are describing, which would be40" or more. So I recommend, in general,staying with bows that are closer to 40" than they are to 30".
AP I won't say I don't agree with you to a certain extent, but the length of risers on bows to are comparablylonger than they were were 15 years ago. I feel that's why Iam more comfortable with a shorter bow than in years past. Longer risers, shorter limbs. Another thing like it or not manufacturers try to supply the customer with what they want and right now hunters buy short and fast. Whether it is the best choice for them or not. If you, as a manufacturer don't offer what they want then the customer will go buy where they can get it.

All that said I am glad Bowtech brought out the Airbornes this year in a 36" A to A. Even though a lot talk about how long these are, you and I both know they are not really long at all

Dan
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys might think i'm crazy but i used to have a long ATA bow and i wasen't very good with that bow. I got a shorter ATA bow, bear instinct, and i shot so much better which is kinda weird because i'm a bigger guy. Thats why i'm so attracted to the DXT.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

....the length of risers on bows to are comparablylonger than they were were 15 years ago
Hmmm.... I don't remember that we had anysub-40" bows 15 years ago. So, I guess you're right. Maybe...I know the riser on my 2002 ProTec is exactly the same length as on my 1991 SuperSlam, and very close to the same as on my 1986 Firecat.

But really, even though a large percentage of the mass is located in the riser, it's still the overall length that contributes more to stability than the riser length. Like the difference between a long stabilizer vs a short one.

If you, as a manufacturer don't offer what they want then the customer will go buy where they can get it.
On the other hand, I, as a consumer, would expect the savings in material costs to be passed on to me. I would not expect a 30" bow to cost the same, or more, than a 45" bow with comparable features.

36" is very short. An old shooting friend of mine who passed awaynot long ago put a pretty good slant on it once. He had to quit shooting because of an injury about 15 years ago - back when bows were mostly still decent length. He came out to the range to visit a couple of years ago. He walked up, looked at all the little bows on the bow rack and commented on how glad he was to see so many children shooting these days.

Of course, he then took a look around and saw a lot of hard eyes staring back and not a child to be seen. [8D]

I had a helluva time explaining to him that that was how theywere making bows now. And some very popular bows only have ONE cam! I'm not sure he ever got over the shock.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

You guys might think i'm crazy but i used to have a long ATA bow and i wasen't very good with that bow. I got a shorter ATA bow, bear instinct, and i shot so much better which is kinda weird because i'm a bigger guy. Thats why i'm so attracted to the DXT.
Not at all, but the set-up of the bows was likely very different as well. The Bear Instinct is a parallel limb bow with a long riser, and the other bow may very well have had a shorter riser than the Bear, resulting in more issues with hand-torque. Add in the fact the the Instinct has a moderately long BH, not sure what your other bow was, but I can understand why it would be very possible. As I mentioned earlier, my Trykon XL and Highlander are the same as far as the A-to-A, and have the same BH, but the Trykon XL is far more forgiving, even being a few FPS faster!!! If you look at the forgiveness rating, they are one point apart, but if you shoot them, you'd rate that much differently I believe.