Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which would you choose? PSE vs. Hoyt

Old 02-05-2003, 01:26 PM
CG

Default Which would you choose? PSE vs. Hoyt

Specifically the Hoyt Havoc and PSE Avenger. Both are 2001 models and both are new. The Hoyt has the Redline cam and XT 2000 limbs. I can't shoot either bow so any of your experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 02-05-2003, 03:27 PM

Default RE: Which would you choose? PSE vs. Hoyt

First, the 2001 Havoc did not come with a Redline Cam. It came with the Command Cam, Sabre Cam, or Versa Cam. It is 33 1/4" ATA. The brace height is 7 1/2". Advertised speed for the Versa and Command Cam is 308 fps. The Sabre Cam runs out at 305 fps.

The Avenger is a Pro Shop only bow and has the Unibody riser, which means the limb pockets are a machined part of the riser. It also has the Sim/PSE NVs. It has the Ultimate One Cam. It is 37" ATA. The brace height is 6 3/4". Advertised speed is 305 fps.

You're talking about two totally different bows; so, it would surprise me if anyone who could really explain to you the absolute differences between these bows. It really all depends in what you're looking for in a bow.

One thing that would bother me about the Hoyt is that the cam you say it has is not the 'factory' cam for that year. The Redline Cam was available in the Havoc for 2000, but not 2001.

I hope this helps in your decision.

Old 02-05-2003, 03:49 PM
CG

Thanks Len. The ad specifically says 2001 and Redline cam and also advertises the BH at 8 1/2" so I will have to check it out. I'm a little skeptical now. You had once said that you really liked the Enforcer from PSE. The Avenger is it's older brother. Same tight tolerances or not?

Old 02-05-2003, 05:21 PM
pup

the hoyt.

peta SUCKS
Old 02-05-2003, 06:54 PM

The tolerancing in that family of bows from PSE would surely be the same. Without checking the specific bow, I can't assure you.

I do assure you that the Redline cam was NOT in the 2001 catalog. If you're buying on the Internet, 'buyer beware'.

Old 02-05-2003, 07:13 PM
CG

Thanks Len....Trust me if I had the services of a Pro Shop I would be doing that in a heart beat but my closest ProShop is 3 hours away and if you ain't buyin' Mathews or Parker you ain't buyin'!! The next closest is 4 hours in Denver. Not practical in my case. Thanks for the info though.

Old 02-05-2003, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Pse all the way!

Old 02-06-2003, 02:12 AM
Banned

Hoyt!

Peak

Live and Learn
Old 02-06-2003, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

The bow is probably a 2000 model Havoc instead. The 2000 Havoc Redline that I owned had a measured brace height of 8.25 inches at close to peak weight. The easiest way to tell is by the camo pattern. The 2000 models had Mossy Oak Shadowbranch camo while the 2001 models had Mossy Oak Forest Floor.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:43 AM

PA a better way to tell the 00 and 01 Havoc apart is by the way the cable guard is attached. 00 Havocs had a bracket that attached to the bow. In 01 the cable is inserted directly to the riser and held in place with set screws.

I'd go with the Havoc. I prefer the grip and the Avenger I tried out was a bit loud.

Quick Reply: Which would you choose? PSE vs. Hoyt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.