Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

OK Tech heads, on Chronographing.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default OK Tech heads, on Chronographing.

First off I'll say this as many newbies or those looking to learn might pick up a bit of advice.

My Allegiance is a 70 lb bow. Recently I chrono'd it an noticed it was slower than it once was and I know why. The cables/string has creeped. I checked ATA and sure enough plus I put it on the bow scale and it's down 4 lbs. Instead of a 70 lb bow it's maxed out at 66 lbs. I'm about ready to make a set of new cables and a string but want my 82nd to arrive first. I may just twist up the cables to get the 4lbs back and put the bow back into spec.

So while Brian (BPBowhunter) was up today for me to install his Gibblet string and cable, we played around with all my bows and his shooting and chrono'ing.

My bow, now at 66 lbs chronos in at 298-300 fps. Thing is, when Brian shot it, he was hitting 304-305 fps.

Riddle me this, why would he get 4-7 fps faster than I would shooting the same exact bow? The only difference between us is he is a 30" draw and I'm a 28.5" draw and the bow is set at 28.5"s.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: OK Tech heads, on Chronographing.

I think he might be because he has to bend his elbow a little more than you do, and when he releases his arm probably snaps forward a little, giving the arrow a bit of extra boost. This is using the exact same principle of an old, old trick to getting a little more 'cast' from a longbow. Just a thought... aka wild guess.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would bet with a longer DL, he is pulling harder into the wall.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

DL
Old 01-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

AH, don't take this wrong cause Brian and I both said this would come up so out of form I tried to pull as hard as I could against the wall and it didn't up my speed to his, it crossed our mind but that's not the case.

AP could be on to something but we could not explain it either. I could test that by leaning back into the shoot and bending my elbow more. Has merit but not sure it's that but of course I cannot say, I don't know what the cause is, thus the question. [8D]
Old 01-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

We thought that may make a difference also, but Rob went back and shot a few more times pulling against the wall as hard as he could and it didn't make a difference. It really had us puzzled.

Again Rob, just want to say thanks for all the help today, I really appreciated it.

Brian
Old 01-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

No offense taken. However you cannot measure the amount of force each of you was pulling. It would seem to me that you would be able to get much more force from drawing short than you would trying to overdraw!!!! Even with each of you drawing as hard as you can off the wall. Just a thought.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Most likely, when he was shooting through the chrono, he was passing though the .....ah, I don't know what they're called....arms?? of the chrono, creating a different speed. Maybe he was a tad higher or lower, going through straighter....Something to that effect....

As you know, all those things will cause differnt readings.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

He is shooting through the chrony at a different angle and/or higher/lower in the chrony.

I can get 4 fps difference when shooting through on a different level.Try shooting through high and then shooting through low to see what you get.

What mobo was reffering to.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:15 PM

Yeah, what HE said..... ^ ^ ^

Just in better lyngo than I used....What can I say...it was a long day, and the daughter's have friends over, and and and.....

Quick Reply: OK Tech heads, on Chronographing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.