Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help replacing Strings and cables

Old 01-17-2008, 05:57 AM

Default Help replacing Strings and cables

I'm new here so don't pick on me too bad.
My question is the cables on my parker bow are shot and i plan to replace them with the correct length vapor trail strings and cables. My parker manual states that the bow strings should have 40 counterclockwise turns and cable have 20 each as well. They also recomend using only parker cables. I am wondering if the twist ratio is the same on the new strings or do you twist them so the axle length is correct. And if that is the case how do you determine the correct number of twist on the string vesrsus the cable. Maybe i am over thinking it but i dont have any shops around here and i am trying learn what i can so any help would be appreciated.

Dave, Granite Falls MN
Old 01-17-2008, 06:15 AM

Default RE: Help replacing Strings and cables

parker used to give only untwisted lengths, that's why all the twist count stuff. just ignore it completely. call parker and ask doug for finished lengths for your bow, and order them those lengths. if its a single cam bow, basically take 1/2" off of the string lengthon your sticker, and 1/4" off the cable length. still, call parker tech support and see if they have the finished lengths.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:36 AM

The sticker on my bow says string should be 55" and cables 36.5". My next question is do custom strings get measured differently (twisted or untwisted) so all you have to do is take them out of the bag and put them on or do you just try to hit the correct ata length and try to offset any cam lean. And that brings another thought to mind is if you shorten the string by twisting does that affect the buss cables length also.

Where do people go to learn this kind of stuff?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM

call parker, ask for finished lengths for your bow, and then when you order them like that, they'll be ready to put on right out of the package. the installer will have to adjust your split yoke for lean. your bow is called a dually, for dual cam.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Parkerbuckhunter
Where do people go to learn this kind of stuff?
The school of hard nocks. Most of us picked it up through playing with things and screwing them up the first time. Hopefully by the second or third time you figure it out. The nice thing about forums like this is you get to learn from someone else's nocks.