Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow)

Old 01-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow)

ORIGINAL: wicked arrow

i shoot a 285 grain arrow out of my xi at 52 #and a 289.4 grain arrow out of my 60#guardian,at fifty yards you will still have total pass thru on a white tail,my buddy that guides up in alaska shoots a guardian as well and shoots 300 grain arrows out of his,he told me no reason to go heavy,if300 grain will take out a brown bear it will take out any other animal in north america.
wicked arrow,
You do know that shooting a 289.4 grain arrow out of a 60# Guardian will void your warranty.

Dan
Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 PM

sorry i didnt buy the bow for the warranty,i boughtfrom the good reports i get up in alaska,im not worried..
Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 AM

Mean v2 beat me to the punch. I think that a good rule of thumb is to shoot at least the manufactures minimum spec on arrow weight. The other one intangible is shot placement. I believe most any bow shooting a deer sized game through the ribs is going to have a pass thru but if you put your shot in the shoulder socket even the heaviest bows and arrows probably wont pass thru the majority of the time.

If you want to test your theory shoot light andheavy arrows into a 3d target and see how far each one is penetrating at different distances. It should give you an idea of how much penetration each has and whether or not speed vs weight really matters in your opinion. I happen to shoot axis fmj at 29" with 100 grain tips which puts me at about 395 grains. 72# draw weight at 29" draw length. Havent chrono'ed but i assume im in that 265-275 range.

After posting my first reply i sat and thought a little bit. Here is what i came up with. Lets say you are shooting a 70# bow with 350 grain arrow at 10 yards and using the same bow you shoot a 450 grain arrow at the same distance. My theory is that the lighterfaster arrow at this distance would probably penetrate a little further. Now as you back up your lighter faster arrow will probably have a flatter trajectery than the heavier slower arrow but the penetration will probably deminish the further you go back. So what i am trying to say is there is probably a breaking point where each arrow out performs the other at set distances but why not go somewhere in the middle to get the best of both worlds. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wicked arrow

i shoot a 285 grain arrow out of my xi at 52 #and a 289.4 grain arrow out of my 60#guardian,at fifty yards you will still have total pass thru on a white tail,my buddy that guides up in alaska shoots a guardian as well and shoots 300 grain arrows out of his,he told me no reason to go heavy,if 300 grain will take out a brown bear it will take out any other animal in north america.
If your shooting 289.4 grains with you 60 lb guardian that considered dry fire!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:57 PM

sorry the weight was wrong,its 313.10