Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow)

Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM

Default RE: Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow)

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Sometimes, they say the proof is in the pudding.

290 grain arrow, 29", 70#, over 350 fps. HCA Iron Mace. Speed Pro Carbon Revolution 5.5 gpi arrows.

38 yards, passthrough.

18 yards. Passthrough.

Umm, the bow limb says Limbsaver, not High Country. Thought that top pic looked familiar.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, the bow says "Quiksilver" - and yes... I'm so vein that I actually put stickers with my username on my bow. LOL It gives it character.

I can assure you that it's a 2007High Country Iron Mace.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM

My bad[&o]. Please accept my apologies to you, Quick. I'm sorry. Good shooting and beautiful bucks.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:01 PM

I agree with Roskoe 100 %. When the carbon arrow came out in the mid 80s to late 80's they where very small. They looked like pencil leads and the weight was more than most carbons arrows of to day. The penetration was unbelievable. When the Gold tip came out and the carbon arrow started becoming bigger around and lighter we lost a lot of the penetration. The arrow was still penetrating great, but not anything like the first ones. The axes arrow came out and now the carbon arrow are smaller diameter and some of the weight is back and guess what. I have always shot carbons not for the lighter weight, but for the way they penetrate. I have shot a lot of aluminum's and had lots of pass through s with them. It's the way that the lighter carbons pass through game with out braking are bending. Its almost like you missed and just shot the arrow in the ground. I have had them blow through the shoulder blades before. I do like the the speed of the newer bows, but not for the same reasons of most bowhunters and think if you have a bow shooting in the 260 to 280s you have a fast hard hitting bow and it's putting out lots of energy for bowhunting. The harder the bow is hitting the more likely your going to get a pass through and if you make a bad shot a bow hitting hard and has good penetration can some times turn it into a good shot.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I am 99% sure my shot will be 25 yards or less I have no problems shooting a relative heavy arrow. To me that would be 450 to 500 grains. I would never shoot anything heavier for the hunting I do. IBowhunt areas a lot of the time where I know there is a really good chance my shot will be 35 to 45 yards that's when I prefer a lighter arrow, 340/350 grains.

I have hunted with arrows as light as 320 grains out of a 60# bow and got complete pass throughs

Dan
Old 01-16-2008, 12:24 PM

The arrow was still penetrating great, but not anything like the first ones.
quicksilver shot a buck w/ a 290 grain arrow and got a complete pass through. How much more penetration are we talking about here? What, his arrow didn't stick in the mud as far as the first ones? [8D]
Old 01-16-2008, 01:57 PM

I have a relatively light set up being that I only shoot 26 inches of draw and only use about 55 lbs of draw weight. I can shoot arrows with 200 grns of difference from arrow to arrow and not have to change my 20 yard pin setting.

Paul
Old 01-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have a relatively light set up being that I only shoot 26 inches of draw and only use about 55 lbs of draw weight. I can shoot arrows with 200 grns of difference from arrow to arrow and not have to change my 20 yard pin setting.

Paul
How small a target are you shooting at??[8D]

Dan
Old 01-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM

i shoot a 285 grain arrow out of my xi at 52 #and a 289.4 grain arrow out of my 60#guardian,at fifty yards you will still have total pass thru on a white tail,my buddy that guides up in alaska shoots a guardian as well and shoots 300 grain arrows out of his,he told me no reason to go heavy,if300 grain will take out a brown bear it will take out any other animal in north america.

Quick Reply: Light arrow (fast) Heavy arrow(slow)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.