Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pick me apart

Old 01-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pick me apart

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

I ewas going to say something about the shorts(don't they sell them in sizes that fit?) but instead I look at other asking about form and try to use it on myself.I keep my elbow lower but I'm sure I have other faults of my own.The advice I see other give helps me think about what I'm doing.
Boxers were just ridin up some. Its an elastic band so it's not like they're falling down. I'mnota thug that lets my underwear hang out wherever I go.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

I never notice on myself but your bow looks canted forward and the arrow looks level...that maybe normal and everyone may do it,it's hard for me to tell on myself.I thought everything should look more 90 degree angle with body in "T" configuration!Like I said your asking and I'm learning with you!And finger stillcovering release...be careful indoors if no target out of picture.I'm gonna pay attention to my elbow tomarrow to see where mine is a full draw.

I'm gonna check my finger on my release when I get home...I thought when I was drawing it that I was leaving my finger hanging over the end of the jaws instead of on the trigger. Might just LOOK like it's on the trigger? I'll check that though because I coulda sworn I was making sure I wasn't ON the trigger.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to make a conscience effort myself with trigger! Even outside with target in front of me I cringe on my draw thinking about errant touch! I was having some trigger punch problems at first and I noticed that it was my wrapping other fingers around release! I started just relaxing the unused fingers and they would just dangle away from wrist strap,only thing I needed to operate wash trigger finger...90%trigger punch went away.I only curl fingers on release is on my draw! So many things happening with a bow it helps my memory.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

This is one thing I read from this pic. You need to stand with equal weight on both feet. Then draw the bow and anchor without shifting the weight. It appears that you have too much weight on the back leg/foot. This has your whole body out of whack. It kinda looks like you're leaning back at the hips and then pulling your head down and forward to touch the nose to the string.

You need to turn the palm away from the grip, rotating the left elbow out some, with the hand at approx. 40 degrees from the grip. Shoot off the meat of the thumb. The palm should never touch the grip. Keep the fingers relaxed just as they appear to be now.

Bring the right elbow down. It can be little high, but your's is very exaggerated. Typically these days it is recommended to have the drawing arm parallel to the arrow, but a little higher is OK. What you should be trying to achieve is that when you pull through the shot with back tension the muscles are pulling back in a straight line.

Two other things. The draw length of the bow appears to be pretty close right now so work with it as is. Secondly, take another picture, but full length. Need the feet in the picture, too. View from the side, the back , behind you, and down from the top would help, too.
I agree with almost everything said here but there is a minor terminology difference I have.

I get concerned when you tell someone to turn the elbow,that isn't exactly what you want to do.You really want to turn the FOREARM out at the angle without turning the elbow.The elbow actually looks pretty good from what I can tell with the shirt.

The other thing,I could care less if the release arm is on the same level plane with the arrow.My main concern is that the back elbow get relaxed and yours is not and bringing it down some should take care of it.

Most guys I see nowadays have the elbow almostthe same height as the eye.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to make a conscience effort myself with trigger! Even outside with target in front of me I cringe on my draw thinking about errant touch! I was having some trigger punch problems at first and I noticed that it was my wrapping other fingers around release! I started just relaxing the unused fingers and they would just dangle away from wrist strap,only thing I needed to operate wash trigger finger...90%trigger punch went away.I only curl fingers on release is on my draw! So many things happening with a bow it helps my memory.

Sounds like you are trying to use a hair trigger.Hair triggers are a bad idea for archery.You need a release you can settle in to without fear of it going off and then squeeze the shot off.In a hunting situation you will probably be squeezing more with the finger and for a target situation,more with the back muscles.

You can and will probably need a little lighter trigger for hunting than you do for targets but still not a hair trigger.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I have too many fingers on release strap it's like I'm trying to catch release,relaxing the unused ones it's just less for me to concentrate on,trigger isn't hair just I like to remove unused parts from picture.Total hand on strap I feel like I'm trying to control recoil...ain't none!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

get the elbow down,arm,arrow streight line,it hurts just to look....it looks like your drawarm wants to shoot the floor and your bow armwants to shoot 20 yards..you can see the release pulling up on the string putting more pressure on the nock point.....every thing should be inline and if you want to shoot the floor bend at the waist......JTH..
Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Here's an older pic of my old bow. I think I look better in this. Im wondering if my draw being too short on my new one is making my elbow cramp up, because I tried bringing it down and it hurt-- felt cramped-- but with this older bow that had a longer draw, I didn't have that issue.

And I know Im leaning back in the pic- it's been discussed. My draw was a little too long and my release was a little too long- I got a new release and Im working on finding the right draw for my new bow.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pass out some of those longnecks in the background and they will be more gentle Patrick!Newer bow have alot different feel to you?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 AM

I noticed one little detail the vanes on your arrows are curled or wavy looking. Shooting a WB?Something is distorting those vanes? I'd look into that too.

Quick Reply: Pick me apart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.