Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

chasing bolt threads

Old 01-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Default chasing bolt threads

Got my new Black Ice and G5 sight and Qad rest,neither the bolts supplied with the sight or the rest will screw into the tapped holes in the bow, do you suppose the threads just need to be chased or should I contact Diamond?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: chasing bolt threads

The film dip from the camo is probably down in the threads. You could chase the threads and it should cure the problem. If it doesn't, then contact Diamond/Bowtech and they should take care of you.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The threads are 10X24 so that's the tap you need.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

I would have your dealer do it for you that way you dont void your warranty. I know it's easy to fix, but I have seem many people cross thread taped holes before. My .02
Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would have your dealer do it for you that way you dont void your warranty. I know it's easy to fix, but I have seem many people cross thread taped holes before. My .02
Ditto! But not because of warranty issues.For one thing, I paid for a fully functional bow. I do not expect to have to come back and rework screw holes. The consumer is the final quality control inspector. I'd stamp this one REJECT.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:14 AM

Doing it yourself may void warranty but chasing threads is easy. Your call. Just don't use a 10-32 if it's 10-24! lol
Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Ditto! But not because of warranty issues.For one thing, I paid for a fully functional bow. I do not expect to have to come back and rework screw holes. The consumer is the final quality control inspector. I'd stamp this one REJECT.
While I know what you are saying very few companies check the threads out and run a tap through them prior to shipping. I figured this out a long time ago, as I'm sure you did, and got myself a full set of taps for all the holes. One of the very first things I do when I unbox a bow is run a finishing tap through every hole just to clean them out.

It isn't hard and frankly, it's hard to screw anything up. And as for voiding the warranty? If a person is that inept then he should probably be shooting something without wheels.

On another note. A good shop should probably do this before letting the bow leave the shop, whether they install the accessories or not. Just another example of good customer service.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I agree, BGfisher. There are several levels of customer service that should have taken care of the problem before it ever got into the consumer's hands. And, real world, assuming I'd taken my flashlight and verified the holes had actually been tapped in the first place, I admit I'd just chase the threads out myself rather than haul the bow back to the shop. But still, I'd be P.O.'d.

I'd definitely send the manufacturer a nastygram.

If the holes hadn't been tapped at all though, that's a different issue. That bow would definitely go back. It wouldn't be the first time a CNC machine had broken a tap and run off a more than a few parts before the operator (aka semi-trained monkey )caught it. Things like that can easily slippast even the best inspectors.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:21 PM

When I done bow work in a pro shop I seen lots of bows come it new with paint down in the threads, not tapped all the way and not tapped at all. I let you pro shop do it. Than if it's gets really screwed up the warranty will cover it are it will be on the pro shops hands to fix it not yours.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if the holes aren't tapped at all I'd certainly have to agree with you Art. Me? I have the tools and the know how so I'd just do the job myself. It'd only take about half an hour. Thern I'd call Joel at the factory and let him know that there may be others.

Yes, the average guy would and should take the bow back to the dealer. There really is no sense in going to the expense of buying the taps unless there would bemore use for them around the house and such.

Quick Reply: chasing bolt threads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.