Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Working with aluminum shafts - ?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Default RE: Working with aluminum shafts - ?

If you've got a case deburring/camfering tool for reloading these are the best for deburring arrows but I wouldn't spend much on a specialty tool for deburring them if you don't have one. You can partially insert an insert and when you pop it back out the burr will come with it, then go about installing it as usual.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just use an elcheapo pocketknife with a semi dull edge on a thin, small bladeto deburr my shafts. Whatever you use, make sure not to cut away more than 1/2 the shaft's wall thickness. If you cut too much of a chamfer, it will serve as a funnel to run the insert straight up inside the shaft andruin your prized arrowthe first time you hit something hard.

That's why I use a knife instead of a fancy deburring tool. I can lay the blade down flat on the inside of the shaftto cut away only the burr and still leave the full wall thickness to ride on the shoulder of the insert.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I just use an elcheapo pocketknife with a semi dull edge on a thin, small bladeto deburr my shafts.
LOL Well, I'll give that a shot too .

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
Whatever you use, make sure not to cut away more than 1/2 the shaft's wall thickness. If you cut too much of a chamfer, it will serve as a funnel to run the insert straight up inside the shaft andruin your prized arrowthe first time you hit something hard.
That is very good to know. Thanks again.