Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

whats the most effective system for sighting in?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:20 PM

Default whats the most effective system for sighting in?

My bow came new from the factory and I was told the top pin is 10 yds, middle 20 and bottom 30. The middle is dead on at 10 but the top nad bottom seem to be way off. How would I go about getting the top to 10, middle 20 and bottom 30. Common sense tells me to adjust my top pin so it is in line with the middle and go from there. I am completely new to this so any advise would help. Thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Default RE: whats the most effective system for sighting in?

Pretty much as a rule of thumb your 20 yd pin will shoot about 2 inches high at 10 yrds. So go ahead and get it pretty close from there and make sure you have made all your windage adjustments so you are definately center aligned. After you get it in pretty close to the 2 inch rule, go ahead and move back to 20 and take a shot. Dependent on how fast your bow shoots will usually be how close you are to being on at that point at 20. So from there just make minor adjustments until you are getting a good shot group at twenty, probably from the sounds of it around a softball size or so. Now your 30 yd pin should be more or less the same distance lower as your 20 is from your 10. Not always right on but pretty close. So set it up and then repeat just as you did for the 20 but this time your shot group dependent on your level of shooting will probably be just a little bit bigger than your 20 yard pin.

By the way my suggestion is to have a 20, 30, 40 pin set up because like i said you will already be about 2 inches high and that aint bad and easliy eyeballed from that distance.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

To make it easy for you just remember follow the arrow. That means if you are sighting in your 20 yard pin at 20 yards and the arrow hits high then you move your pin up. If it hits low then lower your pin. Same with left and right, if hits rt then move rt, if hits left move pin left.
Since you are new only work on one axis at a time. An easy way to do it is take 2 pieces of tape put one on your target horizontal the other vertical to make a “+” on it. Take 3 arrows (they must all be the same) and shoot at the vertical line it does not madder where on the line as long as your aiming at the line. Look at the arrows and move the pin to adjust the sight. Repeat this until all arrows are on the line. Then do the same thing with the horizontal line. When you get done with this you should be good at 20 yds. When you set next pin you should not have to move your right and left if your bow is tuned good. You should only have to move the other pins up or down for the yardage you want to shoot them at. Hope this helps if you don’t understand what I’m trying to saying let me know and I'll hepl you.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

a big help for me was the easton tuning guide which you can download from the easton website.....for free !!!

Frank
Belgium
Old 01-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Unless you are shooting an extremely slow bow,220 FPS or less, having a ten yard pin is useless. Set your top pin at 20 yards and the next two for 30 , 40 yards. More than likely if you are shooting normal speeds of 250+ with a 20 yard pin your arrow at 10 yards is still going to be no more than an inch off of your aiming point.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:44 AM

X2. And if you are hunting elk, you can probably go with 30, 40, and 50. Hold toward the bottom of the lungs out to 25 yards with the 30 yard pin.