Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gateway Razr's

Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gateway Razr's

Has anyone shot these, and what do you think. How do they compare to blazers? Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gateway Razr's

They might shoot the same but there a feather. Most likely only a grn. a piece which makes them about 15 lighter than blazers. Beautiful pic of them on their site.

Make your foc higher.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats one of the reasons Im thinking about using them, to make my FOC better.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Goherd1111 definitely uses them - so you might want to PM him. He has some nice pics of his finished arrows. I know he was really happy with their performance.

I'll be putting them on my arrows for this fall.

I can't figure out why they're not more popular. All the benefits of the Blazer with none of the problems.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:40 AM

All the benefits of the Blazer with none of the problems.
What problems?? I know of none, as along as your arrow doesn't brush a branch or something.....

MeanV shoots, and sells them. I believe he speaks pretty highly of them.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Blazers areso high-profile, so rigid - that if you even dare touch a twig - your arrow is probably going to wind up in the nether regions ofouter space. And their high-profile causes a lot of people to have contact issues with their dropaway rests.

Obviously, if you set your bow up right, and you shoot in wide open areas - you're fine. They're great. But, most people don't set their bows up right (as I'm sure you know), and most people hunt in brushy areas where those blazers probably aren't the best option. I have some blazersglued to some junk arrows, just to play around with. But that'sas far as the marriage betweenme and the blazer vane ever got.

I guess it's a personal thing. I've tried them and Idon't likethem at all. For hunting.

Rayzr gives you all the benefits of a high-profile, superlight vane, but it lays back against the shaft upon release andif contacted, minimizing the kick on the arrow.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

The Blazers areso high-profile, so rigid - that if you even dare touch a twig - your arrow is probably going to wind up in the nether regions ofouter space. And their high-profile causes a lot of people to have contact issues with their dropaway rests.
Yep. Just don't see the benifit to them. I shoot 4" savage duravanes and the weight is almost the same.

I have shot feathers before. I'm sure these have the same problems all others do. They're not any more weather resistant are they?I also shot feathers with a wisker biscuit and they were ok.

If I did shoot feathers again I'd only use them early season when the weathers good. Same time I wear my knee high moc's.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I will deffinetly give them a try. The two things about the blazers I didnt like were how high of a profile they had which can be tricky for clearance and how dang stiff they were.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

All the benefits of the Blazer with none of the problems.
What problems?? I know of none, as along as your arrow doesn't brush a branch or something.....

MeanV shoots, and sells them. I believe he speaks pretty highly of them.
Exactly Right!!

Dan

Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

I think the two things you mentioned about the blazers biggest problems are part of what makes them work so well.

The higher profile puts the tip of the fletch into the smooth, non turbulent airflow farther away from the shaft. This provides better stabilization.
The stiffer material keeps vane flutter down to a minimum and makes them nearly indestructable.

While I do agree that some people have had problems and will continue to have problems with fletch clearance using the higher profile vane, this is really a case by case basis. I have been able to obtain clearance on every bow I have set up to shoot blazers.

As far as clipping a twig goes, my thought on this is that the front of the arrow would have traveled through the same airspace as the back end on it's way to the target. If there is a twig or leaf or something else in the way, the broadhead will hit it somewhere between 25 and 30 inches before the fletching ever gets there. At that point, your shot is blown anyway.

While I know it is personal opinion, I like the weather resistance of plastic vanes better than even treated feathers.