Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can a shorter draw length realy benefit?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Can a shorter draw length realy benefit?

Hey folks,

I have been looking around online at all the highend bows and their claims at arrow speeds, WOW!What I was wondering is if a guy like me with a 26" draw length could see a dramatic deference in speed with one of these bows??? I have an 07 Martin Jaguar bought used (andcheap)that is set to 62lbs, again with a 26" draw length. I really like the bow but I have to set pins at 10,20,30 and 40. I hear of folks using one pin up to 30 yards?? Could I see that king of result by changing bows?? For example, I see bowtech has an Equalizer advertised that can get over 300fps at a 27.5 draw length and 60lbs. I just would like to have one pin up to 25yrds, I don't really care how fast it is going. Would this example of bowtech's equalizer do that for me??? Mycurrent set up will take a deer in the Carolina's with no problem andI am not sure what my speed is? So I am happy, butjust curious.

If anyone is bored and cares to share any experiance and knowledge I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can a shorter draw length realy benefit?

HMMMMMMMMM

I'm 26.5 with a Mathews XT @ 67lb , shooting axis's 400- 26 3/4 long and I'm only using one sight pin out to 30 yards.

I would think maybe its your arrows and a few more pound up could change that...
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

I had a 2006 equalizer set at 63# and 26" draw, with a 3 pin vital bow gear sight set at 20, 30, and 40 yards without any problems. ANY bow can be set for ANY yardage, you just have to learn how to compensate for anything outside of your pin range by practicing, and know your own limitations.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

One pin to 30 yards is not what it actually seems.

Even the fastest of bows will still shoot a little high at 20 and a little low at 30. As stated above, it is about compensation and your definition of accuracy.

If you are striving for minute of angle type accuracy, then one pin will not cut it.
If we are talking about minute of whitetail, then you can probably get by with a single pin.

As for a guy with a 26" draw, unfortunately archery benefits those with a longer draw. Unless you go with a crazy light arrow and a very high draw weight, you are not destined for 300+ fps performance.

That being said, a bow shooting 200fps sighted in with pins at 20, 30 and 40 can be just as accurate as one shooting 300fps. What you give up is some forgiveness with yardage error. Personally, I have stopped worrying about my arrow speed and concentrated more on being able to properly gap my pins for those "tween" shots (i.e. 34 yarders).
Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM

In short, yes technologies (more radical cams, short limbs, short brace height) will gain you speed but an '07 Martin Jaguar isn't exactly outdated so I'm not sure what you'd gain over your current rig. The question is if what you gain is going to be worth the cost? I personally doubt that you'll see enough benefit to be worth getting rid of your Martin, especially if it's shooting well for you.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are deffinetly bows out there that are faster than what you have. The short draw length specialized bows such as the equalizer and Ross's new SD cardiac help because they have a shorter power stroke on the smaller cams they use which makes say a 26" draw much more effiecient on their cam than it would be say on a full sized cam. Im not sure on the equalizer, but the Ross SD cam is suppose to be 12fps faster at 28" than the regular cardiac cam at 28" both set at 60lbs and shooting the same arrow.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

One pin to 30 yards is not what it actually seems.

Even the fastest of bows will still shoot a little high at 20 and a little low at 30. As stated above, it is about compensation and your definition of accuracy.

If you are striving for minute of angle type accuracy, then one pin will not cut it.
If we are talking about minute of whitetail, then you can probably get by with a single pin.

As for a guy with a 26" draw, unfortunately archery benefits those with a longer draw. Unless you go with a crazy light arrow and a very high draw weight, you are not destined for 300+ fps performance.

That being said, a bow shooting 200fps sighted in with pins at 20, 30 and 40 can be just as accurate as one shooting 300fps. What you give up is some forgiveness with yardage error. Personally, I have stopped worrying about my arrow speed and concentrated more on being able to properly gap my pins for those "tween" shots (i.e. 34 yarders).
Good post.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speed isnt everything but there are absolutly no draw backs to shooting a more efficient bow if you have a short draw.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Equalizer is very fast for short draw guys like us. You can use 1 pin no problem but realize that there is some + or - trajectory out to 30 yds but not enough to take you outside the vitals of a deer within that range.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not only flatter trajectory, should be quit a bit more KE and possibly better penetration.

Quick Reply: Can a shorter draw length realy benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.