Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can a shorter draw length realy benefit?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can a shorter draw length realy benefit?

ORIGINAL: TerryM

The Equalizer is very fast for short draw guys like us. You can use 1 pin no problem but realize that there is some + or - trajectory out to 30 yds but not enough to take you outside the vitals of a deer within that range.
Thanks Terry, thats what I was thinking about in my first post, just I never placed in the post.

The guys all have great points and advice for you.

My Old bow shot the 20-30-40 yards and when I changed over I tried to setup the same yardage on the XT and it would not work as the pins would not go togeather close enough. I sighted in the first one at 25 yards and the second at 35 and third at 40. I don't care to shoot any farther then that at any game.

There is so many variables about your setup that could bea reason of your speed but from the post you don't bring up your arrow spec's that you are using let alone the heads, that all could change a few FPS...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Everyone has a good point, but I just want to throw mine in.

I shot the Equalizer this year. It wasset up for elk at 60# and 26" DL. So I set the first pin at 30 yards and the second at 40. Shooting at 23 yards, it would hit about 1" high on ground level. When I was up on my treestand about 20', a deer came in about 20 - 25 yards. I put my #1 pin right on the vital and fire it. The arrow overshot by a hair and stuck into the ground. The deer didn't even notice what was going on. I have never hunt deer on treestand before, so this was my first time shooting. I have been hunting elk for over 5 years with this set up and never missed.

So if you want to set your #1 pin at 30 yards and hunting deer, I would suggest you nail down your compensation as deer get smaller at longer range.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:58 PM

On my archers advantage my bow shooting 283 fps with a 385.4 grain axis arrow. My arrow scale out a little more than that, but still works out on the target. On a 8 inch vital one pin set at 25 yards will shoot 3 1/2 inch at 13 yards, 3 inches at 10 yards and 3 inches low at 30 yards, That makes one good for 10 to 30 yards. I'm shooting a Black Ice at 65 lbs at 28 inch draw and I can drive nails with it. I was putting three arrows in a 2 inch spot the other day of shooting at 30 yards with no misses after about 24 shots by just aiming a little over the top of the spot and my broadheads shoot just as good as my field points. Shot a doe by just aiming straight on at 25 and a nice buck at 30 yards aiming on and blowed through both of them just like I didn't even hit them and stuck in the ground. Both were great shots double lungs and they didn't go far and died with in sight.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 PM

get you an old bowtech blackknight 2. IBO 350! Bad thing brace height was 5 1/2 If your consistent get one of those and peak it out shoot a light arrow, and a lightweight broadhead will help your foc be on the better end of trajectory. Then you oughta be able to use 1 pin!