Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Trouble w/ Muzzys and CX Maxima Hunter arrows

Old 12-31-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Trouble w/ Muzzys and CX Maxima Hunter arrows

I just bought some Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrows and they shoot awesome with the field points. When I shoot a 3 blade Muzzy broadhead using these new arrows, my shotsare not on target (flying high and a little right.) I know my bow is well tuned and I used to shoot the CX 300s with the 3 blade Muzzy and they shot the same as my field points. Has anyone else had this problem with the new CX Maxima Hunter arrows and the 3 blade Muzzy broadhead? Should I maybe go with a mechanical broadhead, and if so which one would you recommend? Should I use a heavier broadhead, maybe go up to a 125 grain broadhead from the 100 grain broadhead I am currently shooting?
Thanks for your input!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:45 PM

Default RE: Trouble w/ Muzzys and CX Maxima Hunter arrows

It's not my intention to question your intelligence, but I ASSURE you it's not the arrow's fault.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:37 PM

I agree with mobow! JK But I had alot of trouble with my muzzy's sighting them in, they didn't fly anything like my field points. But anyhow, did you make sure the arrows are the same grains/inch as the previous ones? Just a suggestion.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 PM

I bought the muzzy mx3's loved them out to 35 yards after that couldnt get a good flight. I now shoot rage 2 blades, flylike a dart out to 70 yards! Yet to confirm the damage it does.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:08 AM

Hi I could not get my muzzy 3 blades to shoot consistently. I switched to the Rage 2 blades and was able to improve my groups significantly. Thisinaccuracy with the muzzy's was with both the practice blades and hunting blades.( and was shooting a tight group at 25 yards with field tips)And the one deer I've killed with the rages showed a rather impressive entry wound and was a pass through.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

If they group well you could just move your sights.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 PM

Maybe your bow was tuned with the CX 300's; but I can say with a degree of certainty that it is no longer in tune with the Maxima's. Go back and start over with the tuning regiment. Sometimes you can get away with changing arrow, rests, etc, without affecting the bow's tune. Sometimes not.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 PM

I had a similar problem with the muzzy 3blade so i basically did what everyone said here and just started the process over and it ended up that I ended up going from 125 grain to 100 and switching blades entirely. I switched to a Hellrazor which held up all season. It just seemed also that I had to do alot of extra experimenting before i was hitting solid groups. But by mixing and maching broadheads and arrows until i got them about 2 out of the 3 blades in the pack to shoot spot on and the other was pretty close.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot and hunted with the CX Maxima Hunters with 2 different size Slick Tricks screwed on the end, and had No problems.

I tend to agree with others, I doubt the problem is the arrows

Dan
Old 01-03-2008, 03:40 PM

I have put Muzzy MX3 100 grain on some Easton Epic 400arrows and they fly like darts and they group just fine for me. They do fly to the right of my field points by about 3 to 4". I just adjust my sight windage to get them on point. Out to 40 yards they areflying greatby me. The Muzzy MX3 did fly great on the GT pro hunters5575 and grouped similar to the Easton Epics.

CX Maxima hunters 350 are a bit stiffer spine in my opinion and I have not put them on spine tester to compare. Now they fly great with Montecs on them but the Muzzy MX3 are not grouping like the Montecs on the CX maxima hunters.

All these shafts where fletched out with 2" blazer vanes. Some shafts and some broadheads have a some give and take to make them work in my opinion.