Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Just doesn't seem right....any suggestions?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Just doesn't seem right....any suggestions?

My sight is adjusted so low, that I can't even use my top pin for 20 yds. Using the next pin down, I get good groups at 20 yds, but experience quite a bit of drop between 20 and 30 yds. I believe that my fletching is catching the bottom of my sight, but everything looks great when paper tuned. Is this possible?

LH Matthews Switchback 27.5" 65lb.
Trophy Rdige Dropzone rest
Trophy Ridge Matrix 5 pin sight
(three years old, but I believe it is earlier model guide series)
RedheadCarbon Supreme 250 arrows measuring 27.43" w/4" vanes
(BPS web page states these are 9.5 grains per inch)
Old 12-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just doesn't seem right....any suggestions?

Make sure your knocking point os set correctly. Check that your arrow is aligned with the (berger button hole) mountinghole in the riser. Second make sure your peepsight is setup correctly if you use one. Pull to full draw with your eyes closed, open your eyes and your peepsight should be perfectly aligned with yout eye.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your sight is that low then it suggests that your anchor is too high. Do you use a peep sight? If so what is the distance between your nocking point and the peep? On most average setups, depending on draw length and other things, the peep should be about 5" to 6" above the nocking point.

Can you post a picture of yourself standing at full draw? Preferrably full length and holding the bow level.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks for responses. I did try closing my eyes and going to full draw, but I went right to where I normally go. That could be due to my shooting with this set up for so long, though.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your anchor Point looks a little high to me.

Mat
Old 12-30-2007, 06:29 PM

Looks a bit too short for me. Friend of mine had the same problem on his Mathews. Lengtheded his draw 1" andfixed it.

Do what you want. Shoot how it feels best for you.

Here's a link that might help your situation. http://www.huntersfriend.com/drawlength.htm
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, I would lengthen the draw and shorten you release.

Mat
Old 12-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Fork Horn

pop a kisser button about an inch above your knocking point, change peep and draw accordingly. Done
Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

widen your stance, and i think that your draw might be off.....but if tfox is around, thats the man qualified for this. It actually looks like your over extended.
your low anchor right at the knock sells the idea that the draw is too short, because you have no nose contact, but I think if you move your draw up you will find just the opposite. Someone with more experance than me chime in here.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

The anchor is high but if that is comfortable then maybe that is where it needs to be but I personally would try bringing it down.That would require a longer draw or bending the bow arm to get the facial anchors back.

I agree with some other points,the release is long but the main thing that jumps out to me is tension,it is in every muscle in your body,or so it appears,relax and see where that brings things,I believe you will need to lengthen the draw a little to get the facial anchors but relax first and see where that gets you.Bow arm appears locked,relax it.

As far as the sight,it could be nock point,rest height,anchors,or a combination of all.

Quick Reply: Just doesn't seem right....any suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.