Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 01-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-18-2002, 02:31 PM

Default RE: How often should the string be replaced?

As many arrows as I shoot the string and cable gets replaced once a year. It like a tune up on a car. It can still run good but new oil will keep it from trouble in the long run. I think the bow is worth it.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:32 PM

I've replaced the string and bus string on my '96 Mathews Ultralight every year since i've owned it. it's now 6 years old and still shooting as well as the day I bought it. It cost me $65 bucks to replace them every year, I figure thats cheap insurance to keep my bow from blowing up on me because the string is streched to far. Plus the string system is the starting point when tuning your bow, if it's streched to far everything else will be that much harder to tune correctly (or it really won't be in tune because of the string).
Old 01-18-2002, 06:59 PM

I think the norm will be once a year for preventitive maintenence. Nothing like having your string give at full draw on a deer. But it really depends on how much you shoot, what kind of string and harness you have, and how well you take care of it. I know some guys that have went over four years with the same string and never had a problem. I have talked to others that shoot competitively that change it after every shoot. Two years is most likely not that big of a deal if the string still looks good, but I might look into doing something with it.

I am sure Len or someone that runs a shop could give a better estimate though.

Paul
Old 01-18-2002, 07:11 PM

It just depends on how much you shoot your bow. I replace my target bow string about every six months if I am shooting alot. My hunting bow about once a year. It all depends on the number of shots through the bow and how the string looks.
Old 01-19-2002, 03:53 PM
Spike

Dont forget the cables as well once a year. Most ppl forget about them, as they stretch and wear out as well they are under constant limb pressure too. Both Strings and cables have stress values and tensile strengths, which break down over time, from just being under the limb pressure...every year is a good rule of thumb if not sooner if used more.......Jaw
Old 01-19-2002, 03:58 PM
Spike

oops...One more thing!....WAX is the number one most important thing for a bow string and cable life entender. Dont forget to wax them as often as you can. This can extend the life and keep a lil extra money in your pocket. the strings and cables are your engine of your bow and the wax is the oil. No engine oil, no more engine!....Jaw
Old 01-19-2002, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, Jawbone! Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-19-2002, 07:15 PM
Spike

Thanks Arthur! How ya been my friend? Gimmie a call and lets go shoot or do some fishing. Im taking a lil break from worK for a month or two. Stay in touch bud!