Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

stripped allen screw

Old 12-23-2007, 05:51 PM

Default stripped allen screw

i stripped my allen screw on my sight, is there any way i can fix them?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: stripped allen screw

it's probably a 10-32 thread or so, either way, measure the hole. go to the hardware store and ask to see a tap conversion chart. buy a tap (about 8 bucks) and the corrosponding Hex head cap screw. In like flint. Make sure you use some oil and take your time when tapping. Good luck
Old 12-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

A tap set comes in real handy if you tinker much. I often find myself grabbing for it if for nothing more than cleaning out a threaded hole like an insert.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it's stripped really bad, to the point where you can't rethread it to the original size, you might could find a machinist that will install a helicoil in the hole for you. You could buy a kit with all the tools plus the correct length helicoil and do it yourself, but I don't have a clue what the kits areselling for these days. Around a hundred bucks, if I was to make a guess.

Another option, if you've got enough metal around thehole to do it,would be to drill it out and retap to the next bigger size. If it's a 10-32, you'd be going to 1/4-28. You'd also have to drill out the clearance hole in the mating partto get the screw into the threads. That would take a #3 drill (.213")for the screw hole and a letter F drill(.257")for the clearance hole.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

You could buy a kit with all the tools plus the correct length helicoil and do it yourself, but I don't have a clue what the kits areselling for these days. Around a hundred bucks, if I was to make a guess.
Nah, not that much, it's soft aluminum ta boot. Patience would be the biggest requirement.

Good idea!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

shouldn't be any need to helicoil., and my gues is that would be a Tiny helicoil at that. hard to find em yourself that small. Just go with the drillbit that takes off the least amount of material to clean it out and tap it with the appropriate size
Old 12-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I said "If it's stripped really bad, to the point where you can't rethread it to the original size..." then helicoil would be an option. A 10-32 isn't exactly a tiny size either. Get down into the 2-56 range and then we can talk tiny.I spent 15 yearsas an aerospace machinist so I know a little something about retapping aluminum.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I spent 15 yearsas an aerospace machinist so I know a little something about retapping aluminum.
Figures

For some reason I'm feeling a real need to start referring to you as Mr. ...

Are you implying that the there's some truth to the advertising slogan "space age technology" in the archery world. That's why the stuff costs so much.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some truth? Well, yeah. Especially since compounds themselves are space age technology. After all, compounds weren't patented until 11 years after the Soviets launched Sputnik and only a year before Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. But stuff only costs so much because so many people are willing to pay what the manufacturers want to charge for it.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I said "If it's stripped really bad, to the point where you can't rethread it to the original size..." then helicoil would be an option. A 10-32 isn't exactly a tiny size either. Get down into the 2-56 range and then we can talk tiny.I spent 15 yearsas an aerospace machinist so I know a little something about retapping aluminum.

You probably also know that IT IS ALUMINUM! Good gosh, it will strip out. . Some have the mindset that if you don't put a torque wrench or a cheater bar on it, it's not tight.
sorry for being sarcastic, I've done too., but not in a long, long, long, time. I've learned my lesson, the hard way.

Quick Reply: stripped allen screw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.