Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What do ya think of my set-up?

Old 01-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default What do ya think of my set-up?

This is what I am going to try this year. Mathews LX, 60-70 pound, 29 inch cam with string loop to give me my 30 inch draw. Shooting 67 pounds. Fletcher 3/16 super hunter peep, string leeches(new kevlar ones if needed),stealth limb savers, copper john dead nuts hunter sight, alpine sof-loc 5 arrow quiver, 6 inch stealth hunter stabilizer, 1 simms module for rear stabizer,scott rhino 2 release. Beman ICS hunter 340 shafts 30 inches long, fletched with 3, 4 inch vanes at 4 degrees offset and shooting 100 grain muzzy 3 blades. Still havn't decided on a rest yet. I might go ahead and put winners choice cables and string on too. So what do you think, any suggestions or hints on what I am planning to use or if you would suggest something different would be great. Looking forward to some responses. Thanks, Bhunter32.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:39 AM

Default RE: What do ya think of my set-up?

I think your going to have a great set up ! I have heard if you change the LX from 80 % to 65 % you lose about a 1/2" of draw length(if you shoot 65% you may want to look at that when choosing your cam's draw length). I hate to sound pesimistic(sp) but I seriously doubt you'll need limbsavers,possibly not leeches , and the WC thing still seems prematuer in my opinion (all that seems like an unessary $125-$150 to me). Hard to say though cause you would have to shoot it both ways resulting in spending the $ and if your more confident with all that then I think you should put it on your bow ! Good Luck !
Old 01-29-2003, 12:34 PM

Sounds great! here are a few thoughts:

I am going Spot Hogg, not sure the model yet, MZE, Accutouch release, and something like a Shrewd carbon stab. It is a modified Xring.

I like a longer stab that the one you have, since the limb forward design already creates weight forard, I want to get out there a little to grab some stability. I don't use a back weight, but you may prefer the ballance.

I wouldn't bother about the string. Set up the bow, measure ATA. Keep an eye on it. If it steches, and mine have been pretty good, twist it up, if it keeps stretching, consider the new string. Just from where I am coming from, I would rather spend the dough on a bow press, and keep the string in line, than on some string that is made out of the same materials anyway. Or if you are ordering the bow, ask for them to send it from the factory witht he tiger string, whichever is lower stretch.

I would never shoot a loop that adds an inch to my draw length. if you are a 30 inch shooter, get a 30 inch bow. By the way, for hunting, I remain unconvinced about loops, in fact I stopped using them for 3D myself. There are a lot of top shooters who aren't using them for 3D, judging from the pictures I have seen. I don't go to the big tourneys, so I don't know why they aren't as popular as maybe they once were. I just try to look at any shooter pictures I see, and they aren't all shooting loops. I have always been able to go back and forth between a direct attachment to the string, and a loop, without getting too long on the draw, so I don't see how you can get an extra inch there. you will loose power stroke, and anchor. Tell me all about it if it is a new trend.

Old 01-29-2003, 02:24 PM

The Lx is a great shooting bow & has almost no hand shock. I agree I wouldn't buy limbsavers or string leeches till I shot the bow and saw how it really did.

I would say if you want a loop & to have a final draw of 30" I would go with the 29.5" draw. a one inch loop is kind of long in my opinion.

the LX is a heck of a bow from what I saw of it at the ATA show. you should have a great rig.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:28 PM

Sounds like it will kill a deer )

Nice set up and great detail in your post.

Jim

Visit me on the Web...
http://www.huntinginga.com
Old 01-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

When I first started shooting a loop about 7 years ago the first thing I was told is that I would have to use an inch shorter draw on my bow because the loop would add to my draw length. So I guess what they were saying was if I ordered a 30 inch bow, then installed a loop that I would be shooting a 31 inch draw. It seems to me that the bow can only be drawn as far as the draw length will allow. Wouldn't adding a loop make you just have to anchor different? I have actually tried a loop on a 30 inch bow and it just feels like it is to long. Is it really or is it just my mind messing with me? I hate to get this new bow with a 30 inch cam only to find out I should have gotten a shorter one. Mathews cams are expensive to change out. It seems like I remmember pinwheel 12 discussing this loop topic before and sounded very knowledgeable on it. I tried a search but didn't come up with anything. (HEY' PINWHEEL, ARE YA THERE?),,I need advice on this from somebody with more tech knowledge than I have. Help me out everyone so I do this right the first time. So what do ya think of the rest of my set-up? Thanks everyone. Bhunter32.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:05 PM

Adding a loop doesn't change the power stroke of the bow but it does change the anchor point. You want to anchor in the correct spot, so if you add a loop, you need to shorten the drawlength, to keep the anchor point in its correct position on your face.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like I have to chose between the 29 or 29.5 inch cam with a short loop to get me where I need to be. Thanks for the responses and keep em comin'. Bhunter32.