Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tfox or anyone...grip

Old 12-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default tfox or anyone...grip

tfox or anyone...happen to have a close up view of a proper grip on a bow?? just one place i struggle with and realized that ive never SEEN a proper grip up close or got a good look at it. i think my shooting will improve even more if i get that grip solid and consistant. i know last year i had a tendancy to tourque as soon as i released and threw shots.

thanx alot..figuring someone might have one laying around...
Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 AM

Default RE: tfox or anyone...grip

I think this is what you are looking for....others may be able to comment more on hand placement.

One thing I look for is the knuckles making a 45 degree angle off the grip....as well as, nothing to the right of your life-line (in the palm of your hand) should be touching the grip.

A lot of your thumb pad goes into the grip.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is a good pic and covers most,there may be slight variations for each individuall.

If I rotate my hand too far,it causes extreme pain.

One thingI did to get a consistant grip was hours in front of paper.If your bow can shoot bulletholes.You will be able to tell fairly easily if you change or torque the grip.

Then you can shoot and work on your grip and making it consistant.This was easy to do because I could do it in the garagein any weather.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...i appreciate it..

seems i was doing things right...just gotta watch consistancy and follow through.

yesterday, toying around in the back yard i used that grip, but actually curled my fingertips in and pretty much closed them..nothing on the grip but palm...but, i think that may caused tourque itself. i noticed with fieldpoints id have an arrow go nuts each time...but, its impossible for me to death grip the bow as i loose the arrow...i just thought i saw well known shooters actually shoot like that...wasnt real comfortable either...actually tired out my forearm..which means it was tense and was causing tourque..i was just bored and playing around a bit...

seems my normal grip is proper and so long as i keep it consistant and watch the follow through, im good.

might try the paper idea. will definently goto the shop and make SURE im shooting bullet holes first though...

thanx guys...

maybe the new digital camera will have a nice self timer and i can get some pics of my form and draw...just the time of year to be making changes and getting everything right before i get real serious about shooting again...i had the guy at the shop work with my draw legnth for a long while one day..its hard to tell on your own though...after you get used to it, it doesnt seem to matter if your long or short..i felt a bit short at 28..i was leaning my head in to meet the string i noticed..thats when i had him work with me and fine tune it...
Old 12-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

If consistancy is a problem(especially with field tips),then I would lean more toward the release as the problem.

You know what's coming next,get a back tension and work on a clean release.

Here is something to look at for comparison.

My wrist release could be a little better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOwEPsvHVQ
Old 12-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ahhh i know my release is problematic...i understand the basics of using a trigger release with back tension, but i know im not. not that i think about it, or pull it or squeeze it like im shooting a gun, but i know theres not much back tension going on...

any recommendations for a back tension release?? im a hunter, but im an accuracy freak. i like to shoot long range in the back yard and to show boat at the local 3d shoots during the summer...just never tried a back tension release and get thrown off by thumb releases and all that other stuff...

oh...and my accuracy and consistancy isnt BAD by any means...i will actually shoot circles around everyone ive ever shot with, but they are your average hunter that shoots MAYBE a couple months a summer, usually less than a couple months lol...but when im in tune and upto my normal shooting, i feel i shoot pretty well for being self taught and that....
Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the model that came out before this model.Not sure what the prices have done but I did see a 3 finger model at Gander Mountain for 60 bucks.

http://www.truball.com/BTGold.html

Old 12-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If everything is set-up right there is a lot of back tension going on using a trigger release and using back tension to set it off. A target shooter showed me how to shoot my trigger release using back tension and you can definitely feel the difference and see the accuracy increase.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

If everything is set-up right there is a lot of back tension going on using a trigger release and using back tension to set it off. A target shooter showed me how to shoot my trigger release using back tension and you can definitely feel the difference and see the accuracy increase.

TRUE, but untill you experience the true bt feel,you will not truly experience what the perfect shot should feel like.

A true bt is much harder to cheat than a hand held or a wrist release.A true bt is needed to learn the discipline needed for good shot consistancy.

A 4 finger is also easier to cheat than a 3 and a 3 is easier to cheat than a 2. I use a 3.[]
Old 12-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

hmm price of that little sucker aint bad...aint bad at all.

but, now that im looking at BT releases, the more i wanna know and learn about them...i just see some going for 200$..wont be buying till summer probably..so money wont be a huge object...though, cheaper is always nice, so long as its a good release...

time to do some searching/reading...

and i need/want a good hunting release for next year...was kicking around the idea of a new bow, but i know i need a new vehicle. if i get a good job...and know i need/want GOOD sights and rest on my bow new or current...so figured this year i will accessorize and get my releases and that sort of thing...then next year, when i graduate college, i buy myself a bow for graduation

tfox, what do you use for a hunting release?? ive seen some hand releases put on straps...just to have them handy, not functional like a trigger style release..but alot of guys dont recommend hunting with a BT or thumb release for some reason...i dont know...i want to learn to shoot BT and want a good hunting release...i understand what your saying about shooting targets with the BT to learn to shoot BT with a trigger release...

thanx alot

Quick Reply: tfox or anyone...grip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.