Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

SPIN TESTING CARBON ARROWS???

Old 01-28-2003, 07:09 PM

Default SPIN TESTING CARBON ARROWS???

I've been told you should always "spin test" your arrows to make sure your broadheads are aligned properly with the arrow. With aluminum arrows you can just heat the tip up and turn the insert slightly until everything is properly balanced. But what do you do with a carbon arrow? You can't heat the tip without risking damage to the arrow. I know there has to be some way to properly align carbon arrows when using broadheads. If not, does that mean that all the hunters using carbon arrows are just accepting the fact their carbon arrows will never be properly balanced like an aluminum arrow?
Old 01-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SPIN TESTING CARBON ARROWS???

You use a slow cure epoxy, and twist the points until the insert is in the correct (straight) position, then let them dry.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:36 PM

But if for some reason, you didn't get the insert straight and a "wobble" was created when the broadhead was attached, is there anything you can do at that point to true things back up again?
Old 01-28-2003, 08:17 PM
CWB

I always use broadheads in the inserts when I am gluing my inserts in, for the first time. Broadheads will let you detect a out of line insert a lot better than just a field point. You can turn or twist the insert to get the prefect spin before the epoxy glue dries. Carefully screw the broadhead out, with out moving the insert. You want to make sure the epoxy does not dry and glue the broadhead to the insert! Wipe off any excess glue and let it dry.
You can screw a field point in the arrow then slowly and carefully heat up the "field point" until the epoxy just starts to melt, then you can turn the inserts and try to realign them that way. Be careful not to overheat and DO NOT apply heat straight to the carbon shaft.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:25 PM

Yea, u can heat up the insert and then twist the field point or whatever till it heats up and turns. If your blades are aligned(if u do this) but your broadheads are still wobbling, u can spin the arrows, see which way the broadhead angles and add slight pressure to that to bring it back in line. Eventually, youll get the broadhead "bent" to align with the insert. I personally use easton carbon glue with my carbon arrows and have had no problems. I groovy tool the inside of my shafts also.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:23 AM

Hold the carbon shaft out close (right next to) to the tip while you heat the field tip or whatever and you'll make sure not to get the carbon too hot. I've been using hot melt glue sticks on my goldtips glue-in points and inserts without a problem.

-Chief