Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shorting arrows

Old 01-28-2003, 11:45 AM

Default shorting arrows

Would like some advice,Iwas shooting beamens 340 32".
found out the 32" arrows were to long when I got measued again,so I am shorting the bow, and cuting the arrows to 28", should I go to a 400grn arrow, because by shorting the arrows they will be a lot stiffer, is that correct.

Thanks Macduck
Old 01-28-2003, 09:57 PM

Default RE: shorting arrows

The arrow's spine will get stiffer the shorter you cut it. You may have to change to a lighter arrow (one with less spine) when you cut your 340's down to 28". What poundage is your bow?

Check out the shaft selector at www.beman.com and it will tell you if you need to consider a change.

HuntingNet Member since Spring 2001
Old 01-29-2003, 06:04 AM

Check the arrow selection chart. Your arrow is probably overspined , however this only means that your shooting a heavier arrow than you could be.You can't really go too stiff(just avoid getting an underspined arrow).A lot of people move up a spine size to increase arrow weight.If you have a lot of the 340's ,I say shoot them until you need new arrows(save the money!! & energy).Then change to a 400(which is not the weight in grains)and pick up an extra few fps if you want.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:57 AM

I WOULD AGREE WITH CBM SC. BUT YOU ALREADY GAINING SPEED BY CUTTING 4" OFF THE ARROWS. PERSONLY I LIKE THE HEAVIER ARROW HELPS KEEP EVERYTHING QUEITER.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:02 AM

[quote]
The arrow's spine will get stiffer the shorter you cut it. You may have to change to a lighter arrow (one with less spine) when you cut your 340's down to 28". What poundage is your bow?

Check out the shaft selector at www.beman.com and it will tell you if you need to consider a change.

HuntingNet Member since Spring 2001
[/
quote]I"m shooting 56# on my bow,I haven"t tried to shoot the 28" arrows yet, we are going to put on new string and shorted the bow tonight at the club, we have indoor range, I will see how the arrows will fly.

Thanks for info
Old 01-29-2003, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

4" of arrow is alot to cut you might get by with cutting less and not effecting the spine as much especialy if you turn up your bows poundage , warning , be prepared , you are about to change everything and your bow will definatly shoot diferantly .

We all have different oppinions , if we did'nt the world would be a BORING place