Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

400 FPS ???

Old 01-28-2003, 04:37 AM

Default 400 FPS ???

I saw a new 2003 High Country SSR on a website rated at 400fps !! Does anyone know anything about this bow ?
Old 01-28-2003, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 400 FPS ???

You will notice that they don't call it an "IBO speed rating"...nor do they list the specs that the bow was shot at. Supposedly, the bow will shoot 400 fps with an arrow that weighs around 3 grains per pound of draw weight. Would you want to shoot that light? I wouldn't.

It is a clever marketing ploy to confuse readers. Everyone always assumes that a company is listing IBO specs when they list their speeds.

Lastly, I believe it was this particular model that High Country was showing off at the ATA show. It exploded after so many shots with that 3 grains per pound of draw weight arrow.

Enough said.

Old 01-28-2003, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the info. ! I noticed it did not say IBO speed or list the brace height. I figured one of you guys would know what the real deal was ,thanks again.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:25 AM

Really, why would anyone want to market their bow to shoot and arrow at 400 fps and 3 grains per pound? Think about product liability and injuries! IMO at 5 grains per pound we're playing with fire, I really don't need a carbon arrow going through my hand nor do I need a broken limb sticking out of my head just so I can say I hunt with a 400 fps set up. I hope there won't be someone with empty pockets and buy one of these with the idea that they will soon own High Country! IMO life is too precious to risk any injury due to ego problems.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:42 AM

I agree, they should not advertise it, if they will not warranty it.

Bad move by high-country.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:10 PM

the brace is 6.3/4"s & they were shooting a 225g arrow a new carbon arrow speed pro for them 5.5g per" a new carbon tec. & the bow had the new cams on it duel cam for over 400fps
I was shooting it thursday morning felt very nice in my hand too I might add at 400+fps
as to IBO rating don't need it with the carbon riser IT IS TOUGH ENOUGH to shoot these light arrows less than 5g per #
just so you all know it did not explode or go bad at show
they had a demonstration bow dryfiring (8000+) the only thing that exploded there was the string witch was expected to go bad
IT has a lifetime warranty on riser & limbs
just so you know if you don't have the need for the speed you can use a heaver arrow I can't wait till mine shows up at my door SSR duel cam I have the need for speed
faster the arrow the faster they get to the frying pan
I just can't see why alot of you like jumping on the back of High Country Archery when ever their name comes up
Does a CO. have to be perfect or to your liking or just start with the letters M H B to have a normal informational conversaion about them, this site is for Technical info. is it or not?
It would be very nice to here sum possitive info come to this site
Gregg
Old 01-28-2003, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

C'mon Gregg...

No it doesn't have to be about H, B, or M.. but in all honesty how can you not say that the advertising HCA is doing here is at the very least misleading? Talk about having to read the fine-print.

There is plenty of half-truth and BS advertising out there from everyone, but this latest stuff from HCA takes the cake. They are using bogus non-industry norm figures and testing that are doctored to kinda look like the "normal" testing procedures.

I think if HCA could get someone to market for them who knows what they are doing, stop trying to "out-wow" the competition, and get back to putting some solid bows together, then they wouldn't be in the situation you see here and elsewhere that you are complaining about.

HCA has become the National Enquirer of the Archery Industry.

Old 01-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Lets see 225gr arrow going 400fps that equates to 80f/lbs of KE.
My pro38 dual cam will do 342fps(on chrono at local shop and 1fps faster than the birth cert.) with a 350grain arrow at 72lbs, equates to 91f/lbs of KE with very little reciol or hand shock and the noise level is acceptable and it doesn't need string silencers and it is a 2001 model to boot. It's a no brain which is more efficent. I don't know about the hand shock, recoil or noise level of the HC but I do feel alot better with 5gr per lb over the 3 but I shoot a 400grain arrow anyway just because I feel it is easier on the bow. The limbs and riser my hold but what about the axles getting out of round. I also wonder what the old pro38 will do with a 225 grain arrow????? I won't be finding out.
I am not tring to bash High Country but I think they have had enough problems over the last several year with bows blowing up and overall quality of the product without shoting 3gr/lb arrows. I hope they have improved there quality with this one.

Edited by - bigcountry25 on 01/28/2003 21:35:47
Old 01-28-2003, 08:38 PM

Doesnt matter how fast the arrow goes by the deer.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

My arrows don't go by the deer unless it's my fault. I shot my Pro38 dual cam with all that speed better than any bow I have shot in my life. Heck I had a Patriot and I couldn't shoot it nearly as well as the pro38. I am not saying I don't miss but I don't understand why everyone says I fast bow is not as acurate as a slow one and I use the word slow loosly because todays bows generate alot of speed.
'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.