Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bowstring advantages?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default bowstring advantages?

i read so much about different bowstrings some giving more speed,less creep,low stretch,etc.my question i have is my bow new last year has a dynaflite 97 string and 450 plus cables which means nothing to me are these good string and cabels or could i gain some advantages such as speed going with a different string or string and cable set up?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:36 AM

Default RE: bowstring advantages?

Go here and you can read up on the materials and see what each does for you: www.bcyfibers.com/ but remember it's not just a matter of what material is used but also how well they are put together.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Kodiak says is true. While the materieals in your string/cables may not be the latest and greatest, they're not necessarily bad. It all comes down to the quality of workmanship put into the string making process and proper serving procedures.

This what sets most good aftermarket string makers apart from factory offerings. Instead of just wrapping the strands around a jig set for a certain length and then served they go the extra mile. Through trial and error. mostly, they've figured out how long a string needs to be to come up to the proper length after being twisted. Also how many twists to put in a string to give it stability which minimizes creep and virtually elimates peep rotation. They wrap the strands on a jig, prestretch it under hundreds of pounds of pressure to make each strand the same length so they are all doing equal work. This is why they have much less creep over time.

Then the string/cables are twisted and stretched some more. Still under pressure they are served with a machne that serves very tightly. These two things is the reason most get little or no serving separation, especially around cam modules.

Add to that you can get pink and purple (always my suggestion for a hunting bow) or whatever colors you want and serving colors----and pick the material you'd like, these can be quite a bargain.

There are two clues that can spell whether your strings are decent quality or not, and they're easy to see. Peep rotation is the first, if our peep rotates then the string may not bemade right. The second, and common on most factory strings, is no or very few twists in the string, readily seen with a two color string. A string should have at least one complete twist for each 2" of string length. In other words, if you have a single cam bow with a 100" string it should have at least 50 twists and 75 is even better. What you get depends on the maker of the string.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Steelhead, the materials in your strings and cables are some of the best there is . I prefer 452X which is the same as the 450 except the 452X is just a smaller version. It just makes a nicer looking string is all and fuzzes a little less than the 450. I also use the Dynaflyte 97 and like it for strings. Now you could use 8125 which would gain you a little speed but not much. I make all my strings out of Dynaflyte and the cables out of 452X because the cables take more of a beating than the string does , especially on one cams. Now as Bgfisher said it still depends on who manufactured them as to if they are good strings and cables, because you can have the best materials, and you do, but if the manufacturing part isnt done right it wont make any difference in the quality of the string even with the good materials. 450 will have very little creep but when it does start to creep it is time for a new set.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

my bow is a one cam 2005 browningrage one nothing fancy to say the least but a good shooting low end bow.i just wanted to make some changes to get the best out of it.i dont shoot a peep i use a hindsight so i cant say about peep rotation and the string and cables r black so seeing the twist is kind of hard but it looks to me that there is more twist in the cables than the string.i wouldnt think there is near 50 twist in that string.might not mean anything i am no archery tech but after i shoot, my string loop in almost facing towards the riser i have to take my fingers and twist the string to bring the loop back to the correct alignment before i shoot another arrow is that common?
thanks guys
Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, string loop rotating around the string may happen. What is hard to determine is whether it's the string twisting or the loop actually twisting around due to inertia when shot. If the loop is tight enough it should not twist around, but it happens.

One trick I found a few years ago is before installing a loop put bowstring wax on the serving where the loop will attach. This goes against the grain and you'd think this would add some lube under the loop and allow the loop to twist on the serving. In reallity it allows the loop to be get tighter when spread (with needle nose pliers) due to less friction between the two materials (serving and loop). It also allows you to "screw" the loop up or down the serving like a nut when tuning. Once tuned then you tighten the bejesus out of that loop and it should stay put.

Wish you well.