Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Anybody shoot a 2003 Hoyt CyberTec

Old 12-11-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Anybody shoot a 2003 Hoyt CyberTec

Looking at buying a used bow, (2003 Hoyt CyberTec)this would be my first compound, don't know how passionate I will be aboutbow huntingso this would be my "starter" bow. It's a 50-60#. Just want to know if this would be a good choice...anything I should look out for?Thanks for any and all input
Old 12-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anybody shoot a 2003 Hoyt CyberTec

The Cybertec is a good bow. I actually have a version of it's closest cousin (03 Razortec) and it has been a very reliable bow that is relatively accurate for it's short axle to axle length.

I would say that you certainly could do a lot worse, however as your first bow I might look for something with a little bit longer brace height (distance between the throat of the grip and the string. If my memory serves me correctly the BH on that bow is around 6 3/4". I would say that is on the extreme short side of where you want to be. Something more in the range of 7 to 7 1/2".......or larger is a better bet for a beginning shooter. Something like an UltraTec with a longer axle to axle and a longer brace height will be a little more forgiving to shoot.

The Cybertec really shines as a hunting bow, fast and not too short, however if you are going to be primarily target shooting then you may find that the accuracy is not there for you with this bow.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-12-2007, 06:54 AM

I have a 2003 Cybertec with the Cam & 1/2. I have been very pleased with it. It is a great overall bow and I have killed many deer with mine. I don't think you can go wrong with this one as a starter bow. It has a little more hand shock than the latest parallel limb bows, but is still very nice to shoot. I have finally decided to sell mine after owning it for 5 years. It is a 50-60lb model, but maxes out at 66 lbs on my scale. Current draw length is 29 inches, but is adjustable. If you haven't already got a used on picked out, PM me for details. Selling bow, quiver, rest and arrows for $275 tyd.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:58 AM

Looking for a lefty, dominant eye thing[:@]
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an 03 Razortec - very similar. I liked that bow.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Give the string and cables a good going over.Look them over really well, especially around the cams and the peep sight. Check for fraying. Some serving seperation at the cam is acceptable, but if you see a little 'puffball' looking thing at a seperation, that means it's about to break and the string and cables should be replaced. If the string and cables are more than a year old, 2 years at the very most, they should be replaced. If you can't find out how old they are, it'd be a good idea to go ahead and replace them. Just for insurance and peace of mind.

Look for gaps between thewheels and spacers along the axles. Shouldn't be any.

Draw the bow and look at the wheels while holding it back. Make sure the ends of the limbs are level and the cams aren't leaning badly.

Take a cotton ball and run it along the corners of each limb, bottom to top. If it snags anywhere, check that spot out closely. It might only be a chip in the coating or it could be a small crack. Chips okay. Cracks not okay.

When drawing the bow, listen for any creaks, cracks or pops. If you hear any, it's likely to just mean it needs to be taken apart, cleaned and lubed. But it could also mean something more sinister. It's a definite tip-off on how well the bow has been maintained.

Go on the Hoyt website and look up the technical data for the CyberTec. Well, here's the link to the '03 CyberTec: http://www.hoyt.com/customer_service/hoyt_tune_charts.php?page=03_cybertec.phpCheck the measurements against the specs to make sure everything is as it should be. If it's way off, say more than an inch in axle to axle length or a half inch in brace height, it's another tip-off that the string and cables probably need replacing. They would certainly need to be adjusted.

That's about all the inspection you can do without tearing the bow down. Only other thing is to find out how it shoots for you.